Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:13
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23, 2017

Hello ProZians,

during the past 10 days or so I keep receiving job notifications in languages that I can't read, speaking only a few words in each, such as Russian or Polish. (Перевод текста Испанский-русский)

Apparently it suffices that one of my working languages appears in the requested services. I do appreciate the notifications, but what good do they do when I can't read the text?...
See more
Hello ProZians,

during the past 10 days or so I keep receiving job notifications in languages that I can't read, speaking only a few words in each, such as Russian or Polish. (Перевод текста Испанский-русский)

Apparently it suffices that one of my working languages appears in the requested services. I do appreciate the notifications, but what good do they do when I can't read the text?

Does anybody else receive such notifications?
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:13
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Similar notifications Jan 23, 2017

Not only in the languages I don't read at all (ex. Persian, Arabic) but also in Spanish-German or French-Russian pairs which I can read but don't translate into.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It could be a bug Jan 23, 2017

I also received a notification in Russian, language that i don't even read.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jan 23, 2017

A bug would explain these notifications.

Or maybe ProZ is trying to convince us to learn new languages.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:13
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Job postings can include multiple language pairs Jan 23, 2017

Hello,

Please note that job postings can request services for multiple language pairs. Notifications are sent to translators who work in at least one of them.

For example, the job posting titled "Перевод текста Испанский-русский" requests translation services from Spanish into Russian and Spanish into English, a language pair you have declared to work in.

If you would rather not receive notifications for some of the language p
... See more
Hello,

Please note that job postings can request services for multiple language pairs. Notifications are sent to translators who work in at least one of them.

For example, the job posting titled "Перевод текста Испанский-русский" requests translation services from Spanish into Russian and Spanish into English, a language pair you have declared to work in.

If you would rather not receive notifications for some of the language pairs you have declared in your profile, you can update your settings at the job notifications dashboard: http://www.proz.com/dashboard/jobs

Hope this explains! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language pairs Jan 23, 2017

Hello Alejandro,

thank you for your reply.

I do see your point. However, if I receive a job notification and cannot understand what exactly is being asked for, regardless of whether they require services in any of my language pairs or not, then this defeats the purpose.

Is there a way to adjust the setting as to not be receiving any job notification that are in a language that is not included in my language pairs?

Thank you!

Thayen
... See more
Hello Alejandro,

thank you for your reply.

I do see your point. However, if I receive a job notification and cannot understand what exactly is being asked for, regardless of whether they require services in any of my language pairs or not, then this defeats the purpose.

Is there a way to adjust the setting as to not be receiving any job notification that are in a language that is not included in my language pairs?

Thank you!

Thayenga
Collapse

Phoenix III
Phoenix III  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me 2 Jan 23, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Hello ProZians,

Apparently it suffices that one of my working languages appears in the requested services. I do appreciate the notifications, but what good do they do when I can't read the text?

Does anybody else receive such notifications?

Yes, I have received a few and it's quite an inconvenience.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:13
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is not currently possible to filter notifications based on the language used by the job poster Jan 23, 2017

Hello,

I'm afraid it is not currently possible to filter notifications based on the language used by the job poster. It is to be expected that job posters will use the language they feel more comfortable with, and that will in turn limit who is able to read their offer.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay Jan 23, 2017

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:

Hello,

I'm afraid it is not currently possible to filter notifications based on the language used by the job poster. It is to be expected that job posters will use the language they feel more comfortable with, and that will in turn limit who is able to read their offer.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Understood. Thank you, Alejandro.

Best,

Thayenga

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
I disabled job notifications Jan 23, 2017

This was among the reasons I disabled job notifications a long time ago, although the main reason was to do with rates.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm afraid ProZ cannot be blamed here Jan 23, 2017

but rather the job poster that should use a language that can be understood by all translators involved. There should be a warning in this sense when a job for multiple languages is posted.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File 13 Jan 24, 2017

@ Christal
actually, neither one is being blamed. ProZ can do a lot, but not everything since it's run by human beings who aren't all mighty.

Neither can the outsourcers be blamed for using the language they're comfortable with. I can't picture myself posting a job in, let's say, Arabic because many people are speaking it.

I was just curious about the cause of these notifications. Now I (we) know.<
... See more
@ Christal
actually, neither one is being blamed. ProZ can do a lot, but not everything since it's run by human beings who aren't all mighty.

Neither can the outsourcers be blamed for using the language they're comfortable with. I can't picture myself posting a job in, let's say, Arabic because many people are speaking it.

I was just curious about the cause of these notifications. Now I (we) know. So next time it'll just go straight to File 13. Problem solved.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job notifications in languages I can't read

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »