Thread poster: Sam Yun
Sam Yun
Sam Yun
South Korea
Local time: 21:41
English to Korean
+ ...
Jul 9, 2015

I received a mail from ProZ.com about 3 hours ago informing me of the acceptance of my quote for some translation job. In the mail the job poster requested me to contact him via his email in order to talk about the job, so I wrote a mail to him. But, no further progress from that - no reply. I sent him another mail, but no reply, again. The quoting deadline passed. I don't know how to interpret this situation.

[Edited at 20
... See more
I received a mail from ProZ.com about 3 hours ago informing me of the acceptance of my quote for some translation job. In the mail the job poster requested me to contact him via his email in order to talk about the job, so I wrote a mail to him. But, no further progress from that - no reply. I sent him another mail, but no reply, again. The quoting deadline passed. I don't know how to interpret this situation.

[Edited at 2015-07-09 23:55 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Did the note say that your quote was accepted or... Jul 9, 2015

...just that it was received? I have received many emails saying that my quote was received. In fifteen years, I've never received one that said it was accepted so I don't know what it looks like.

SamYun wrote:

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:41
French to German
+ ...
Urgent? Jul 9, 2015

Is it an urgent project?

Tony Bennjamin
Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:41
Member (2013)
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Neither do I Jul 9, 2015

I have been 9 in this translation industry, but I'm still not receiving any job from Proz.com beside of other agents. Many receiving quotes notification had been sent to me, but I'm also did not receive any further notification. Seems that I had been spending lots of bucks in this site but not receiving any projects. Rather than other agencies.

Sam Yun
Sam Yun
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your quote has been accepted, it says. Jul 9, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

...just that it was received? I have received many emails saying that my quote was received. In fifteen years, I've never received one that said it was accepted so I don't know what it looks like.

SamYun wrote:

and, in Job & directories > My quotes menu of ProZ.com, it really indicates my quote for that job was accepted with green check mark at Status column.

[Edited at 2015-07-09 13:33 GMT]

Sam Yun
Sam Yun
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, a little bit Jul 9, 2015

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

Is it an urgent project?

a little bit urgent project, it was.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome to the world of translation Jul 9, 2015

I answer about 20-25 requests for quotes about every single day. You never get a response from most of them (despite how urgent they always seem to be). Only one or two ever bother to respond - mostly to tell me that I'm too expensive for them.

[Edited at 2015-07-09 14:28 GMT]

Sam Yun
Sam Yun
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But... Jul 9, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I answer about 20-25 requests for quotes about every single day. You never get a response from most of them (despite how urgent they always seem to be). Only one or two ever bother to respond - mostly to tell me that I'm too expensive for them.

[Edited at 2015-07-09 14:28 GMT]

But, in my case I quoted the job, and the job poster accepted my quote presumably by clicking accept button or something in the ProZ.com job system, and the job system sent me a mail informing the acceptance. A bit different case, I think...

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As far as I am concerned... Jul 9, 2015

... there is no binding contract on you until you receive the document and the purchase order. Until then, you are completely free to accept another project. If they finally do respond and you are no longer available, then that it too bad for them. You are under no obligation to wait.

In some cases when clients contact you, they do not actually have approval of the project yet from the client. Because they pay low rates, they have to seek out new translators for each and every proj
... See more
... there is no binding contract on you until you receive the document and the purchase order. Until then, you are completely free to accept another project. If they finally do respond and you are no longer available, then that it too bad for them. You are under no obligation to wait.

In some cases when clients contact you, they do not actually have approval of the project yet from the client. Because they pay low rates, they have to seek out new translators for each and every project and they want to get a good price before quoting a price to their client.

SamYun wrote:

But, in my case I quoted the job, and the job poster accepted my quote presumably by clicking accept button or something in the ProZ.com job system, and the job system sent me a mail informing the acceptance. A bit different case, I think...

[Edited at 2015-07-09 14:53 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's very unfortunate for you if the job poster has actually pulled out Jul 9, 2015

Bidding on jobs posted on Proz is something one does at one's own risk. Job posters are under no obligation to be ethical. The world is theirs.
I do hope you will hear back from them. Perhaps there is a technical problem. Again sheer speculation, but maybe after they accepted your bid and wrote you, they were contacted privately by someone offering a much lower rate, and it's also possible they simply decided to cancel the project and didn't have the courtesy to inform you. I understand
... See more
Bidding on jobs posted on Proz is something one does at one's own risk. Job posters are under no obligation to be ethical. The world is theirs.
I do hope you will hear back from them. Perhaps there is a technical problem. Again sheer speculation, but maybe after they accepted your bid and wrote you, they were contacted privately by someone offering a much lower rate, and it's also possible they simply decided to cancel the project and didn't have the courtesy to inform you. I understand your disappointment.
Collapse

Sam Yun
Sam Yun
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Then... Jul 9, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

In some cases when clients contact you, they do not actually have approval of the project yet from the client. Because they pay low rates, they have to seek out new translators for each and every project and they want to get a good price before quoting a price to their client.

Then was it probably a miss-click (accept button) or that the job poster just kept my quote but because of some unknown reason he withdrew his acceptance (without any notification)? Of course, I think he can withdraw his acceptance, but it would have been better if he notified that to me.

From this experience I maybe learned that Acceptance in ProZ.com job system may not be real acceptance.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strange... Jul 10, 2015

My quotes through ProZ have been accepted several times. You normally get an email from ProZ titled, "Your quote has been accepted! Now wait for the outsourcer to contact you". And in a few minutes, you are contacted by the job poster via ProZ mail which reaches your email inbox. You then get the possibility to send him an answer via the same means, or contact him via email. You then continue your conversation by email, talk about the scope of the work, deadline, payment, etc. Once agreed, you s... See more
My quotes through ProZ have been accepted several times. You normally get an email from ProZ titled, "Your quote has been accepted! Now wait for the outsourcer to contact you". And in a few minutes, you are contacted by the job poster via ProZ mail which reaches your email inbox. You then get the possibility to send him an answer via the same means, or contact him via email. You then continue your conversation by email, talk about the scope of the work, deadline, payment, etc. Once agreed, you start a work relationship with the job poster and work on the translation.

It's really weird that he/she chose you among all other translators and never contacted you directly, which is the normal next step. As I've posted jobs, I know that once they accept your quote, the rest of the people who quoted get an email saying, "Your quote has been declined by the outsourcer"and their data fades away.

Don't know what else to say...
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Never got such an email Jul 10, 2015

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

As I've posted jobs, I know that once they accept your quote, the rest of the people who quoted get an email saying, "Your quote has been declined by the outsourcer"and their data fades away.

Don't know what else to say...

The few times I wasted my time bidding on a job in recent years (I now know better- most jobs seem to be either fishing expeditions, testing the market or looking for low(est) rate translators), I was 'notified' by seeing the 'job closed' announcement on the job posting.

[Edited at 2015-07-10 15:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My quote was accepted but I couldn't receive any further notification

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »