New Connect feature: tagging of candidates and outsourcers
Thread poster: Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
Local time: 15:42
May 28, 2008

It is now possible for members to "tag" candidates for organizational purposes. The feature works in much the same way that "flags" and "filters" work in KudoZ.

This feature will allow, for example, a member who has decided not to work with a given service provider or outsourcer to tag that individual or company as "declined". As a convenience to both outsourcers and service providers, it will be possible for individuals or companies who have decided not to work with each other to f
... See more
It is now possible for members to "tag" candidates for organizational purposes. The feature works in much the same way that "flags" and "filters" work in KudoZ.

This feature will allow, for example, a member who has decided not to work with a given service provider or outsourcer to tag that individual or company as "declined". As a convenience to both outsourcers and service providers, it will be possible for individuals or companies who have decided not to work with each other to filter directory searches and job post notifications accordingly. (When those searches or posts are made on the Connect platform, that is.)

To see how the option to tag has been implemented for the purposes of "declining", go to the new Connect directory and click the "Decline" link underneath a search result. A prompt will appear with more information.

Any tag entered will be visible only to the tagger. (An option may be added to make it easy to send notification to the tagged party, but in principle, "flags" and "filters" are regarded to be information private to the flagger / filterer.)

This is a new concept introduced based on requests from members, and what is available now is a beta version put forward for testing and discussion. This is not the final implementation; changes will be made, and policies will be formed, based on member feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo
(And edited later by Henry)
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:42
German to English
Notification May 28, 2008

Hi Ricardo - will service providers who've been declined be notified? If so, what information will they be given?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:42
English to German
+ ...
Decline outsourcers? May 28, 2008

Hi Ricardo,
Thanks for the information.

Related question: does the filter function in the Jobs dashboard also apply to Connect jobs?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
About notifications and declining outsourcers... May 28, 2008

Hi Kim and Ralf...

No notifications are sent to service providers when declining them, and the filter function in the jobs dashboard does not apply to Connect jobs
By the way, thanks for letting us know that Kim i will add a text to the system to clarify this

Please let me know if this clarifies the doubts...

Regards,
Ricardo Daniel Vella

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feature? May 28, 2008

Ricardo Daniel wrote:
A new feature has been added to the Connect platform to let companies "decline" to work with specific service providers--either for a single job, or permanently.

Kim Metzger asked:
Will service providers who've been declined be notified?

To which Ricardo replied:
No notifications are sent to service providers when declining them.

Come again?!? What did Ricardo say at the beginning?

Ricardo Daniel wrote:
A new feature ...

I'm sorry, Ricardo, but what you describe is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a 'feature'.

In plain English: it is a flag that effectively blacklists paying members of Proz.com, excluding them from certain sectors of the market-place.

To boot, despite their having paid to use this place, the site does not even do them the courtesy of informing them that they've been blacklisted (let alone why).

It is totally unprofessional. Indeed, I wonder if it is even legal to provide on-line tools for blacklist management.

And it is another (yet another...) good reason why I will not pay to use this site.

MediaMatrix

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Notifications may be due May 28, 2008

No notifications are sent to service providers when declining them, and the filter function in the jobs dashboard does not apply to Connect jobs

Dear Ricardo,

I would think that declining for a particular search may be acceptable, as the outsourcer may have his/her good reasons to manage the directory and even discard a name for a specific job, without having to communicate a reason for it.

Another matter is discarding permanently, for any future opportunity, which is such a drastic measure that it should require a good reason and a proper notification to the translator/interpreter.

I don't think I need to expand much on this basic concept, but if you don't see the reason I will be glad tp explain and expand on why I see a fundamental difference between these two actions.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-05-28 22:53]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
German to English
Thanks for editing May 29, 2008

I was bit a confused about this new feature at first, but it's clear now after editing.

I'm glad that service providers will also be able to flag and filter outsourcers they don't want to work for in the new system, and, in fact, I think it will be more useful that way round than the other way round.

[Edited at 2008-05-29 04:25]

Jenn Sooley-Peralta
Jenn Sooley-Peralta
Canada
tagging just for "personal" use? Jun 10, 2008

Hi there,

I have been using the feature to tag service providers who are not suited to our needs based on price, sub-language, qualifications, etc. In some cases this is for a specific job, and in others it would be permanent (ex. when a service provider's rates are too high to allow us to work with them or they are using a type of CAT software that is not compatible with our workflow). I enter a reason in the dialog box so I can refer to it later if circumstances change.

... See more
Hi there,

I have been using the feature to tag service providers who are not suited to our needs based on price, sub-language, qualifications, etc. In some cases this is for a specific job, and in others it would be permanent (ex. when a service provider's rates are too high to allow us to work with them or they are using a type of CAT software that is not compatible with our workflow). I enter a reason in the dialog box so I can refer to it later if circumstances change.

If I understood the original message correctly, this feature is used to tag outsourcers or service providers for one's personal use. Ricardo, please let me know if I did not understand correctly.

I really welcome this idea because it is frustrating to do searches for candidates and to get the same people who do not meet your criteria over and over again. Anything that can help to narrow the search is helpful.

Thanks,
Jenn
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the confirmation Jun 11, 2008

Jenn Sooley-Peralta wrote:
I have been using the feature to tag service providers who are not suited to our needs based on price ... In some cases ... it would be permanent (ex. when a service provider's rates are too high to allow us to work with them ...

Thank you for confirming that this 'feature' can be used - and is being used by you - as an on-line blacklist management tool to exclude site members/users, arbitrarily and without their knowledge or consent, from part of what should be an open market.

MediaMatrix

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Correct, Jenn Jun 12, 2008

This feature is provided for personal use.

NAKOM
NAKOM
Spain
Spanish to Arabic
+ ...
Filter Query Sep 29, 2011

Hi there,

Apologies for bumping this post, but I was loath to start a new thread for what is (hopefully) a simple query. What's more, I was directed here from the "Discuss this feature" link.

I am currently testing the "Filter" feature for the first time, and I seem not to have grasped how it works.

My work process is as follows:

- I search for users for a determined project.
- I do not want a certain user to appear in this
... See more
Hi there,

Apologies for bumping this post, but I was loath to start a new thread for what is (hopefully) a simple query. What's more, I was directed here from the "Discuss this feature" link.

I am currently testing the "Filter" feature for the first time, and I seem not to have grasped how it works.

My work process is as follows:

- I search for users for a determined project.
- I do not want a certain user to appear in this search, so that when I revisit it the following day, I don't have to look at their CV again.
- So, I select "Filter" > "Filter out for this job", noting down the reason and so on and so forth.
- Nothing happens...

Indeed, I am still able to select this vendor as a "Candidate" for the job. The only indication that I have filtered this vendor is when I click the word "Filter" on the View All Candidates page.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please? I'm sure that for individual searches, this feature would be very useful... If I could get it to work!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Oliver
Collapse

allangua
allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
not working anymore Sep 12, 2016

Previously it was possible to filter candidates. They were moved to the "Declined" area. See attached file.
It was possible to undecline them.

Now it is not working anymore. If A candidate is filtered, nothing happens. There is no "Declined" area anymore.

Please make it available again.

[Edited at 2016-09-12 12:47 GMT]

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for reporting this Sep 12, 2016

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for reporting this. I tested this and confirm there is a problem with filtering quotes at the moment. I have forwarded to problem to site developers for fixing. I will let you know here when the problem is fixed. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything in the meantime.

Best regards,
Alejandro

allangua
allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
filtering still not possible Jan 29, 2017

Dear Alejandro,

Coud you please forward again the problem to site developers for fixing. Filtering to decline candidates is very important for our work flow.

This bug is not new. I already claimed it in my post "Filter still does not work" on Nov 20 2013 in the topic:
... See more
Dear Alejandro,

Coud you please forward again the problem to site developers for fixing. Filtering to decline candidates is very important for our work flow.

This bug is not new. I already claimed it in my post "Filter still does not work" on Nov 20 2013 in the topic:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_bugs/259540-dashboard_block_ui_requires_jqery_v_123_or_later.html#2229815

It seems that nobody of ProZ developers is caring about this bug

[Bearbeitet am 2017-01-29 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Connect feature: tagging of candidates and outsourcers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »