Why don't I show up in a directory search?
Thread poster: Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
United States
Local time: 18:55
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2017

I am an interpreter, so location is important when searching the directory.

I entered my language pair, selected "interpreting-any", and put 100 miles of my location, and I didn't show up. Instead two people who do only translation showed up. Is this a site error?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:55
English to Italian
Services for each language pair Jul 25, 2017

Hi Allyson. In addition to specifying your services in the "Services & offerings" section of your profile, try checking if they're also individually set for your language pairs in the "Languages" section by clicking the pencil icon next to the X for each language pair and then looking at the "Services you perform for this pair:" section.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
Russian to English
Site members have priority Jul 25, 2017

You don't show up on the first page of results because you're not a member of this site. But click either of the next buttons on the right and there you are.

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
You are there! Jul 25, 2017

You do show up, but on the second page because you are not a paying member. There's a tiny little 'next' button in the top right-hand corner that you have to click to see non-paying members.

Edit: Other people replied as I was typing. Sorry for duplication!

[Edited at 2017-07-25 18:23 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:55
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Excuse me for asking this question..... Jul 25, 2017

Excuse me dear colleagues for asking this question: I am a translator. I am a paying member. I need to know why I do not show up in the first page? I actually appear on the third page of the directory.

On what basis are the translators organized? I see that they do not appear according to their alphabetical order.

Thanks in advance.....

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:55
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I just found you Jul 25, 2017

Hi Morano, you are 19th on the first page of English to Arabic and first on the second page of Arabic to English. Your KudoZ points make the difference.

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:55
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oh.. that's the reason. Jul 26, 2017

Thank you Beatriz Ramírez de Haro. I really appreciate both your concern and your prompt reply.

Kind regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why don't I show up in a directory search?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »