Thread poster: Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2016

I have a legal doc that I'm doing in Word 2010. It has two different page numbers, one being the original, I guess, and one being the page assigned to it by the Board that is going over this and other documents. I am trying to put them both into the footer. Neither of them starts with "1," so I have to format the number to the one I see on the page. However, when I try to format each number differently (one is centered on one line, the other is right-justified two lines below it) the program cha... See more
I have a legal doc that I'm doing in Word 2010. It has two different page numbers, one being the original, I guess, and one being the page assigned to it by the Board that is going over this and other documents. I am trying to put them both into the footer. Neither of them starts with "1," so I have to format the number to the one I see on the page. However, when I try to format each number differently (one is centered on one line, the other is right-justified two lines below it) the program changes the other number as well. I know I can work around this by simply typing the first one every time, leaving it out of the footer, but still, is there a way to run two different number sequences in the footer?Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:36
English to Russian
Page numbers Aug 5, 2016

Hello Jessica,

Without seeing the document, I assume that the page numbers are dynamic (different on each page). If so, these are automatic fields (called PageNum fields). If they are the same, then each field is a regular PageNum field. If you want them to show different numbers, you need to change one of these fields to a basic formula field and use a PageNum field as one of its operands for the formula, i.e. [=[PageNum]+1] . Here I add 1 so that the page number is higher than the
... See more
Hello Jessica,

Without seeing the document, I assume that the page numbers are dynamic (different on each page). If so, these are automatic fields (called PageNum fields). If they are the same, then each field is a regular PageNum field. If you want them to show different numbers, you need to change one of these fields to a basic formula field and use a PageNum field as one of its operands for the formula, i.e. [=[PageNum]+1] . Here I add 1 so that the page number is higher than the standard page number by 1. This way, one page number will be implemented using a PageNum field and the other page number will be implemented using a formula field comprising a PageNum field.

If this is complicated, please send me the document to stasokhvat AT gmail DOT com along with instructions which number needs to be different and by how much.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:36
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe Aug 5, 2016

Hi, is the difference between the two numbers in each page constant and consistent throughout the document? E.g.:

first page 5 13
second page 6 14
third page 7 15
fourth page 8 16

If yes, there is a way to do it, although it is quite tricky (requires a section break at each new page)

[Edited at 2016-08-05 17:37 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Daniel Aug 5, 2016

Yes, the numbers do go up in tandem, as you outline. However, you would probably agree that if I have to make a new section break on every page, it might just as easy to type one of the numbers in each time.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yup Aug 5, 2016

True. It could make some sense only if it's like 100 pages or so.

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stanislav Aug 6, 2016

Dear Stanislav,
I appreciate your kind offer to help me out with this problem.
I decided in the end to take the easy way out and just type one of the numbers in each time--not in the footer of course. It is people like you (and Daniel) though, who exemplify the concept of colleagueship. Thank you so very much.
Sincerely, Jessica

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Step-by-step method Aug 6, 2016

1. Press Alt+F9 (This displays field codes).
2. Go to the Footer and press Ctrl+F9 twice (Result: two nested pairs of field code braces.)
3. Write "page" between the centre pair of braces. (Don't insert the inverted commas)
4. Write "=" after the opening brace
5. Write "+1" before the closing brace (use "+n" and "-n" to add or subtract by n page numbers)

The resulting field code should look like this:
{ = { PAGE } + 1 }
NB: you can't insert the b
... See more
1. Press Alt+F9 (This displays field codes).
2. Go to the Footer and press Ctrl+F9 twice (Result: two nested pairs of field code braces.)
3. Write "page" between the centre pair of braces. (Don't insert the inverted commas)
4. Write "=" after the opening brace
5. Write "+1" before the closing brace (use "+n" and "-n" to add or subtract by n page numbers)

The resulting field code should look like this:
{ = { PAGE } + 1 }
NB: you can't insert the braces as normal curly brackets directly from your keyboard or copy+paste them. You must insert the pair by pressing Ctrl+F9.

This is really simple and doesn't require entering new Word sections every time.
Actually, I think it's the same idea as Stanislav's (who is THE expert in all-things Word), but I hope the step by step instructions make it clearer. Also, Stanislav's square brackets don't work for me.

I realise that you've solved your problem manually, Jessica, but I hope it helps others in the future.
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:36
English to Russian
Great instructions, Emma! Aug 6, 2016

Hello Emma,

Thanks for the clear instructions.

I actually never tried the manual approach, so I first insert a Formula field using the Insert Field dialogue, press Alt+F9, then insert a Page field inside the curly braces after the "=", and finally type "+1" or similar text after that to correct the page number as necessary. However, it's actually easier to use your approach using Ctrl+F9 and typing the field name manually.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okh
... See more
Hello Emma,

Thanks for the clear instructions.

I actually never tried the manual approach, so I first insert a Formula field using the Insert Field dialogue, press Alt+F9, then insert a Page field inside the curly braces after the "=", and finally type "+1" or similar text after that to correct the page number as necessary. However, it's actually easier to use your approach using Ctrl+F9 and typing the field name manually.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fields Aug 6, 2016

My thanks to you, Emma,
Although the original job has been submitted, I played around for a few minutes with your numbering instructions and basically discovered just how much there is to Word that I know nothing about. "Fields" is an entirely new category for me, and I can see that there are almost infinite possibilities.
I like your idea of having the instructions down for future reference.
And thanks to you, Stanislav, and Daniel, I have now realized that there is a whole lo
... See more
My thanks to you, Emma,
Although the original job has been submitted, I played around for a few minutes with your numbering instructions and basically discovered just how much there is to Word that I know nothing about. "Fields" is an entirely new category for me, and I can see that there are almost infinite possibilities.
I like your idea of having the instructions down for future reference.
And thanks to you, Stanislav, and Daniel, I have now realized that there is a whole lot of Word out there for me to explore when things slow down a bit here.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two different page numbers in the footer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »