Carlos A R de Souza
Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 15, 2017

Hello, everyone,

I need some legal advice about debt collection. It’s a small value for a lawyer. How do you guys collect small debt from people in other countries? Could you please talk to me in private?

Thank you in advance!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
French to English
Country-specific Apr 15, 2017

Hello Carolos,

If you are to be effective in recovering monies due, you probably need to indicate the country concerned. Apart from all the basic stuff about sending a letter to inform the person/company that you will be taking legal action to recover the debt, you need to be informed about what methods exist in the country concerned.

If you use a legal professional in your country to chase a debt in another country, it will probably cost you a fortune. It is often not
... See more
Hello Carolos,

If you are to be effective in recovering monies due, you probably need to indicate the country concerned. Apart from all the basic stuff about sending a letter to inform the person/company that you will be taking legal action to recover the debt, you need to be informed about what methods exist in the country concerned.

If you use a legal professional in your country to chase a debt in another country, it will probably cost you a fortune. It is often not worth it.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2017-04-15 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Carlos A R de Souza
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: country-specific Apr 15, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Hello Carolos,

If you are to be effective in recovering monies due, you probably need to indicate the country concerned.
[Edited at 2017-04-15 20:26 GMT]

Nikki, it would be the US.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Have you threatened to put them on BlueBoard? Apr 15, 2017

In my experience, this can be a very effective way of getting your money back. But having worked extensively with debt collectors in my last job before I became a translator, I know that they're not interested in small amounts from one-off customers.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
BlueBoard Apr 16, 2017

philgoddard wrote:

In my experience, this can be a very effective way of getting your money back. But having worked extensively with debt collectors in my last job before I became a translator, I know that they're not interested in small amounts from one-off customers.

I have been quite lucky (have I also developed a nose for being selective?) as in over 30 years I only had 5 non-payment issues (4 agencies and 1 direct client): two solved after my lawyer’s intervention (same country) and three with the help of the Blueboard. Please note that even if you weren’t contacted through Proz you can open a non-payment report…

Sohair Derbalah
Sohair Derbalah  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
A client doesn’t want to pay me Apr 16, 2017

Hi all,
I've worked for a translation company in Dubai for a year and they used to delay in responding to payment emails and performing payment as well.
Now they are refusing to pay me 4 months invoices I sent many emails with no reply. Then they called me saying do what ever you can as they won't pay.
What do you think about this situation??
Thank you.

Carlos A R de Souza
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A difficult situation Apr 18, 2017

Sohair Derbalah wrote:

Hi all,
I’ve worked for a translation company in Dubai for a year and they used to delay in responding to payment emails and performing payment as well.
Now they are refusing to pay me 4 months invoices I sent many emails with no reply. Then they called me saying do what ever you can as they won’t pay.
What do you think about this situation??
Thank you.

Sohair, I think it’s a difficult situation. I had two clients that were bad payers turn into good payers, but it’s perfectly possible that good payers will turn into bad payers. Getting invoices progressive more and more late is a sign.

The problem with working online is that rules change from country to country. You would have to see how things specifically work in Dubai.

Can anyone here assist Sohair with learning what are her options?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Needing legal advice about debt collection

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »