Thread poster: Awad Balaish
Awad Balaish
Awad Balaish
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:56
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2017

I have a lot of time. I wonder if any person of you could do me a favor and direct me to any online employers or else who are looking for part time online workers form house. I already have received many offers, but so far no avail because the jobs they offer contain exaggerated prescription for a complicated job. I am in a pressing need for an online job for money not to become a rich man but to help me to earn money for ordinary respectful living.

Native language: Arabic
... See more
I have a lot of time. I wonder if any person of you could do me a favor and direct me to any online employers or else who are looking for part time online workers form house. I already have received many offers, but so far no avail because the jobs they offer contain exaggerated prescription for a complicated job. I am in a pressing need for an online job for money not to become a rich man but to help me to earn money for ordinary respectful living.

Native language: Arabic
Second language: English

Thank in advance for your help
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Profile Mar 16, 2017

Try update/improve your profile.
The rest you tend to have to do yourself.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Awad Mar 16, 2017

Awad Balaish wrote:
I wonder if any person of you could do me a favor and direct me to any online employers or else who are looking for part-time online workers [from home].

Freelance translation isn't really a typical work-from-home kind of job, because you have to build relationships with individual clients/agencies and other translators, and operate as a small business. The job offers wherein you simply register somewhere, receive little bits of work, and send it back, typically do not pay enough to make a living off it.

I strongly recommend that you buy and read this book:
http://www.translatortips.net/business-success.html

Then register at the many translator portals (unfortunately Proz.com forum rules prohibit me from telling you the names of the others), and make sure your profile is professional and inviting. Also visit the Blue Board (start at the bottom of the unranked pile -- those are the newest entries, so more likely to still want new translators), visit the web sites of agencies, and register/apply to as many as you can, keeping in mind that you should aim to make a good first impression.

Oh, and consider charging twice as much as you're currently charging, when you contact agencies from the West, otherwise they may not take you seriously.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:56
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This site isn't for employers and employees Mar 16, 2017

Awad Balaish wrote:

We are almost all self-employed translators, running our own businesses. Some of our clients have a presence here, in the form of translation agencies, but they won't approach you for work unless your skills and abilities match their needs. The idea is that you build a strong profile with all the boxes ticked and many reasons for clients to choose you for their very important translations: training, a portfolio of good samples, credentials, memberships, plus a persuasive About Me text backed up by a polished CV (whether online or not) explaining what makes you suitable. Even when you've got all that together, you'll find that it takes months, probably a year or two, to build a sufficient client base to enable you to be working full time. Very many budding freelancers find they get something like one job per month at first.

Translation is really a career, starting with months and years of investment. It isn't the profession to get into if you're looking for a quick return in cash. Quite the reverse, as we tend to find we need to invest money as well as time. You'll need "Pro" software if you're to handle those complicated jobs you talk of.

I'm afraid that, by claiming to be able to translate into English at a professional level, you have already given totally the wrong impression to potential clients here. I fully understand that you need money, and I sympathise, but I really don't think that spending your time looking for freelance translation assignments is the best way of achieving that goal. There are a million and one ways you could be scammed by disreputable translation agencies around the world, who are only too happy to prey on needy freelancers - and I'm afraid some of them come looking here. Your energy might be better spent in looking for an office job locally.

However, you could visit the Site Guidance Centre (under the About tab) to find out how best to use this site as your launch pad. There's a lot of information there for new freelance translators.

Good luck .

Awad Balaish
Awad Balaish
Saudi Arabia
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From Awad about making money Mar 16, 2017

Dear DJHartmann
Thank you for your quick response, I am about to finish C.V and post it instead of the old profile.
I cannot change my educational qualification because I do not possess a university degree. After getting the Diploma I depend a lot on self taught. I know minimum level of education required by the employers is a University Degree. Please bear in mind that I am looking for online job about anything I can do not translation only.

Best regards

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Try Guru.com Mar 16, 2017

www.guru.com

This is a website for any type of freelance work. Good luck.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please go elsewhere Mar 16, 2017

Awad Balaish wrote:

Dear DJHartmann
Thank you for your quick response, I am about to finish C.V and post it instead of the old profile.
I cannot change my educational qualification because I do not possess a university degree. After getting the Diploma I depend a lot on self taught. I know minimum level of education required by the employers is a University Degree. Please bear in mind that I am looking for online job about anything I can do not translation only.

Best regards

Awad, you're just a bilingual individual with no formal higher education (college or university degree) by your own admission. Please don't waste your time here. We are translators, not career counselors or online job facilitators. Please take your desperate plea for a job elsewhere.

[Edited at 2017-03-16 12:35 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:56
French to English
that was my situation Mar 16, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Awad, you're just a bilingual individual with no formal higher education (college or university degree) by your own admission. Please don't waste your time here. We are translators, not career counselors or online job facilitators. Please take your desperate plea for a job elsewhere.

[Edited at 2017-03-16 12:35 GMT]

Mario, that was my situation when I first started out as a translator many years ago. And I'm not doing so badly, at the high end of the market, thank you very much. I'm jolly glad this website didn't exist for you to send me a message like that, because I had enough people trying to dissuade me from my chosen career

Awad, Sheila has explained the setup in a clear and friendly way, as she always does.

If the plan of action she has outlined seems like it'll take too long, because you need to earn money fast, you might want to try a portal like this where you can get all sorts of little jobs in English and Arabic:

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

Good luck with earning some cash!

Awad Balaish
Awad Balaish
Saudi Arabia
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Miss-understanding Mar 16, 2017

Thank you Sheila Wilson
I am sorry to say there is misunderstanding about my request for help. May be I was not clear. My request has nothing to do with translation jobs in fact, I was looking for different online jobs for example filling in surveys, evaluation or validating a new brand name, talk and giving information about cultures or cultural issues and so on, in Arabic or English language. Currently I have one website, but few jobs from time to time.

Thank you again
... See more
Thank you Sheila Wilson
I am sorry to say there is misunderstanding about my request for help. May be I was not clear. My request has nothing to do with translation jobs in fact, I was looking for different online jobs for example filling in surveys, evaluation or validating a new brand name, talk and giving information about cultures or cultural issues and so on, in Arabic or English language. Currently I have one website, but few jobs from time to time.

Thank you again Sheila.

Awad Balaish wrote:

We are almost all self-employed translators, running our own businesses. Some of our clients have a presence here, in the form of translation agencies, but they won't approach you for work unless your skills and abilities match their needs. The idea is that you build a strong profile with all the boxes ticked and many reasons for clients to choose you for their very important translations: training, a portfolio of good samples, credentials, memberships, plus a persuasive About Me text backed up by a polished CV (whether online or not) explaining what makes you suitable. Even when you've got all that together, you'll find that it takes months, probably a year or two, to build a sufficient client base to enable you to be working full time. Very many budding freelancers find they get something like one job per month at first.

Translation is really a career, starting with months and years of investment. It isn't the profession to get into if you're looking for a quick return in cash. Quite the reverse, as we tend to find we need to invest money as well as time. You'll need "Pro" software if you're to handle those complicated jobs you talk of.

I'm afraid that, by claiming to be able to translate into English at a professional level, you have already given totally the wrong impression to potential clients here. I fully understand that you need money, and I sympathise, but I really don't think that spending your time looking for freelance translation assignments is the best way of achieving that goal. There are a million and one ways you could be scammed by disreputable translation agencies around the world, who are only too happy to prey on needy freelancers - and I'm afraid some of them come looking here. Your energy might be better spent in looking for an office job locally.

However, you could visit the Site Guidance Centre (under the About tab) to find out how best to use this site as your launch pad. There's a lot of information there for new freelance translators.

Good luck . [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need to work online for money

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »