Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Freelancing in the Netherlands
Thread poster: kjmcguire
Joanna Kulig
Joanna Kulig  Identity Verified

Local time: 08:57
English to Polish
Thank you Olly! Feb 7, 2012

Btw, mind that Carola posted her comment in 2008, so some things might have changed...

Maria Alcorta
Maria Alcorta  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
translation company invoice does not conform to Dutch tax office requirements May 12, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

For non-EU clients, you should not charge "0% VAT" either, but instead write "No VAT applicable" on the invoice. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I am based in NL and have recently started working for a non-EU company. I am told by this company that I cannot make my own invoices but must use theirs, which do not specify address, VAT number, KvK number, or "No VAT applicable". My accountant wants all these details on the invoice, as required by the Belastingdienst website.

Has anyone come across this? Could you propose a solution?

Thank you,
Maria

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
Work around May 13, 2017

Maria Alcorta wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

For non-EU clients, you should not charge "0% VAT" either, but instead write "No VAT applicable" on the invoice. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I am based in NL and have recently started working for a non-EU company. I am told by this company that I cannot make my own invoices but must use theirs, which do not specify address, VAT number, KvK number, or "No VAT applicable". My accountant wants all these details on the invoice, as required by the Belastingdienst website.

Has anyone come across this? Could you propose a solution?

Thank you,
Maria

If it's a template, discreetly insert this information somewhere.

If it's an invoicing system, create your own invoices anyway and keep both copies.

Maria Alcorta
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! May 15, 2017

Thank you very much. I'll look into this!

Maria

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Simply create two invoices May 15, 2017

Maria Alcorta wrote:

As far as I know, it is not a legal requirement that you send a valid invoice to the client. It is required that you keep a copy of an invoice that is valid. So if the client offers no way to send a valid invoice to them, or does not accept a valid invoice from you, then the solution that I use is this: I first create a valid invoice (which I save it somewhere safe, for the tax man to look at), and then on the same day I create another invoice that conforms to the client's requirements (which I then send to the client). In some cases, I put the valid invoice on page 3 of the PDF and the client's own invoice format on page 1, with a blank page in between. This way, I can use the same file name format for the PDF as my other valid invoices. But I also have clients who do not accept invoices at all, but want me to use their online accounting system. That's no problem -- on the day that I submit the "invoice" on their site, I create a valid invoice on my side, and save it as PDF in my records. I also make a note in my invoices spreadsheet that a non-valid invoice was sent to the client (and how, e.g. via their online system).

Maria Alcorta
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Great, thanks! May 15, 2017

Maria

valeria86
valeria86
Netherlands
Update on Vrijeberopen and KvK + questions about initial steps May 16, 2017

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Carola Stone wrote:
The KvK entry is not strictly necessary (at least the last time I checked in 2007). KvK Zuid Limburg is thinking about making it manadatory, however, we are currently still classed as a so-called free profession, together with artists etc.

I've never heard of the category "free professions". Do you have a URL for that?

http://www.mkbservicedesk.nl/915/vrije-beroepen-overzicht.htm

It seems to me that is mandatory, as per July 2008 to be registered at the KvK...

I also would like to start my own business as Italian Translator and Teacher. I would like to know what happens if you don't work much. Say you don't have many clients, is there a risk to end up paying more than what you earn? How difficult it is to file your own taxes quarterly if you don't have much to declare at the beginning? Thanks!\

Valeria

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing in the Netherlands

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »