jmutka
jmutka
United States
Local time: 11:14
Finnish to English
+ ...
May 13, 2017

memoQ 2015 / 64.

ok, there must be a way to do this, but i can't get it to work.

i'm coming from SDL Studio. there, i can easily pre-translate a file against a TM and have the non-match TUs all propagated with a "best guess" machine translation from MyMemory et. al..

with a few hours of tinkering, i've not gotten memoQ to do the same - it only inserts the machine translation once in a blue moon, like 5% of the time.

what am i missing?

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:14
German to English
+ ...
Click May 13, 2017

MemoQ>Options>Machine translations

[Edited at 2017-05-13 08:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-13 08:35 GMT]

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
English
+ ...
Try "good" May 13, 2017

Hi,

I find MT very useful for testing and usually get results for all segments using "good" as the match setting. That works with both Microsoft and Google MT, depending on the language. Also try experimenting with assembled fragments.

Perhaps Finnish is too difficult, but you should find settings that work.

Good luck.

George

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:14
German to Turkish
+ ...
Important! May 13, 2017

After losing valuable time few months ago, I have learned that memoQ pretranslates only when the target segment is empty.

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
might've found the issue - i have no active machine translation plugins May 20, 2017

might've found the issue.

the OP in this thread is dealing with what i'm dealing:
http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/293578-my_memory_plugin_in_memoq_not_functioning_as_it_does_in_trados_2011.html

so, i have no active machine translation plugins nothing is ticked/configured on that
... See more

http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/293578-my_memory_plugin_in_memoq_not_functioning_as_it_does_in_trados_2011.html

so, i have no active machine translation plugins nothing is ticked/configured on that list. and i don't know which one (if any) is free / good.

crosslang gateway MT
googleMT
etc.

i have activated and use the MyMemory plugin that i thought would do this, but that's in "TM plugins," not at the "Machine Translation" -selection. in studio, it pulls the machine translations and prepopulates with them - either gTranslate, or a human one, if such exist in their database. in memoQ, no such luck.

so what IS the difference between "TM plugins" and "Machine Translation?"

which one of the API vendors provides a free / good Machine Translation?

cheers.

[Edited at 2017-05-20 03:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-20 04:00 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
I don't think May 20, 2017

jmutka wrote:

so, i have no active machine translation plugins nothing is ticked/configured on that list. and i don't know which one (if any) is free / good.

crosslang gateway MT
googleMT
etc.

i have activated and use the MyMemory plugin that i thought would do this, but that's in "TM plugins," not at the "Machine Translation" -selection. in studio, it pulls the machine translations and prepopulates with them - either gTranslate, or a human one, if such exist in their database. in memoQ, no such luck.

so what IS the difference between "TM plugins" and "Machine Translation?"

which one of the API vendors provides a free / good Machine Translation?

cheers.

[Edited at 2017-05-20 03:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-20 04:00 GMT]

that a good machine translation can be free and vice versa (except MyMemory). I use GoogleMT. They have free translation threshold and then charge a rather small payment for ACTUAL translations. I don't know its performance in other domains except medical and legal texts but undoubtedly Google MT helps to increase productivity and the quality in my main domains and languages is satisfactory. Of course these are my 2 cents only.

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Google MT May 20, 2017

Just be mindful that using the Google MT plugin is not in breach of your NDA or other privacy agreement with the client. I have a client (agency) that specifically forbids me to use that plugin (as it is webbased and retains your information somewhere online). I also use Microsoft which seems to need more post-editing than Google but can still be useful in standardised texts. It's not free either but I don't think it's super expensive.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
I know May 20, 2017

Natasha Ziada wrote:

Just be mindful that using the Google MT plugin is not in breach of your NDA or other privacy agreement with the client. I have a client (agency) that specifically forbids me to use that plugin (as it is webbased and retains your information somewhere online). I also use Microsoft which seems to need more post-editing than Google but can still be useful in standardised texts. It's not free either but I don't think it's super expensive.

that Google retains information but before pretranslation I redact all identifiable names and titles and thereafter re-insert them. Of course, it takes some time but in my book is worth every minute:) Regarding standard texts: in medicine (my main field) all texts are more or less standardized ones because of detailed official termbases, style guides, and glossaries.

[Edited at 2017-05-20 16:41 GMT]

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so now complete freebies here? May 20, 2017

well - i've been relying on google MT a lot via MyMemory on studio.

and back in the early days bing was caught using google translate to provide their results.

nonetheless, i just tried to create an account on microsoft azure for MT, but failed. all the tutorials about it are for an old version that either is or is being deprecated.

yes, i do find MT to be quite helpful in speeding up the wor
... See more
well - i've been relying on google MT a lot via MyMemory on studio.

and back in the early days bing was caught using google translate to provide their results.

nonetheless, i just tried to create an account on microsoft azure for MT, but failed. all the tutorials about it are for an old version that either is or is being deprecated.

yes, i do find MT to be quite helpful in speeding up the work. and won't be doing much memoQ until i've sorted this out. why do they not have similar MyMemory functionality as is in studio with the plugin?

[Edited at 2017-05-20 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Where to find the plugin? May 20, 2017

I don't like post-editing and never accept PE projects. However, I must admit that having read the thread, I was curious about the MT plugins or however they are called. I use memoQ 2015 and when I checked the Help section, I understand how to activate a plugin. However, I cannot find these plugins

I performed several google searches using keywords like "google translate MT plugin memoQ 2015 machine translation".
... See more
I don't like post-editing and never accept PE projects. However, I must admit that having read the thread, I was curious about the MT plugins or however they are called. I use memoQ 2015 and when I checked the Help section, I understand how to activate a plugin. However, I cannot find these plugins

I performed several google searches using keywords like "google translate MT plugin memoQ 2015 machine translation". No luck. All I can get are old posts which do not lead me anywhere useful. I also checked the google translate website and the chrome plugin pages.

I cannot find them and, actually, I don't know what do I have to look for exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Elif
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:14
English to Italian
Subscription or plugin May 20, 2017

Elif Baykara wrote:

I performed several google searches using keywords like "google translate MT plugin memoQ 2015 machine translation". No luck. All I can get are old posts which do not lead me anywhere useful. I also checked the google translate website and the chrome plugin pages.

I cannot find them and, actually, I don't know what do I have to look for exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you looking for the plugin within MemoQ or for a subscription to actually use the plugin?

First case: Options > Machine Translation

Second case, try this: http://goo.gl/tuoDlR

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
How to find MT plugins May 21, 2017

Elif Baykara wrote:

Elif

I hope that you have figured out how to find a plugin. Just in case: Options>Machine translation>options for a particular plugin. My advice: try Google as it has no monthly advance payments and quotas like Microsoft.

Good luck!

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Microsoft Azure May 21, 2017

jmutka wrote:

I had a lot of trouble setting up this plug-in (see this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/314563-how_to_use_the_microsoft_mt_plug_in_in_memoq_now_that_microsoft_translator_has_moved_to_azure.html)

Eventually I did manage to get the new version to work, after downloading the latest version of memoQ (8.31 I believe) and following the instructions in this article: https://translatorbusiness.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1078534-microsoft-translator-on-azure ("How to sign up for Microsoft Translator on Azure")

Hope this helps!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you! May 21, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Are you looking for the plugin within MemoQ or for a subscription to actually use the plugin?

First case: Options > Machine Translation

Second case, try this: http://goo.gl/tuoDlR

I will check it right after I deliver the project at hand.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you! May 21, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

I hope that you have figured out how to find a plugin. Just in case: Options>Machine translation>options for a particular plugin. My advice: try Google as it has no monthly advance payments and quotas like Microsoft.

Good luck!

I will check it right after I deliver the project at hand.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to pre-translate with machine translations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »