Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Local time: 14:31
Russian to German
+ ...
Apr 27, 2017

Hi,

I use MemoQ (2015) on my desktop and laptop computer (both under Windows); sometimes, I want to just take the work I've been doing on one computer and pick it up at the other.
I have a synchronization set up between the computers; that is, I can sync any files almost in real time. Syncing the "My MemoQ projects" folder makes the projects available on both computers, but the TM and dictionaries are not synced. Can I do something to fix that as well?

Thanks,
... See more
Hi,

I use MemoQ (2015) on my desktop and laptop computer (both under Windows); sometimes, I want to just take the work I've been doing on one computer and pick it up at the other.
I have a synchronization set up between the computers; that is, I can sync any files almost in real time. Syncing the "My MemoQ projects" folder makes the projects available on both computers, but the TM and dictionaries are not synced. Can I do something to fix that as well?

Thanks,

Pavel
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dropbox will do the trick Apr 28, 2017

Install Dropbox on both computers.
Create a folder named "memoQ TMs" and a folder named "memoQ Term bases" inside Dropbox folder on both computers. Make sure you use the same version of the memoQ program on both machines. Run memoQ on one of the computers, open "memoQ Options" and then "Locations". Specify the path on Resources tab for Translation memories and Term bases. Do the same for the second computer. The paths on the both computers must point at the same folders... See more
Create a folder named "memoQ TMs" and a folder named "memoQ Term bases" inside Dropbox folder on both computers. Make sure you use the same version of the memoQ program on both machines. Run memoQ on one of the computers, open "memoQ Options" and then "Locations". Specify the path on Resources tab for Translation memories and Term bases. Do the same for the second computer. The paths on the both computers must point at the same folders, namely "memoQ TMs" and "memoQ Term bases" inside Dropbox folder, although the drives may differ, but it must look like ...\Dropbox\memoQ TMs and ...\Dropbox\memoQ Term bases.
You can do the above procedure for other folders, such as memoQ Projects, LiveDocs corpora, Muses and Light resources. Now you're all set for synchronization. You can start working on one PC with Dropbox on and synchronizing constantly, then turn on the other PC, launch Dropbox, wait for the Dropbox synchronization to complete, open the memoQ project and all your translated segments will be there. As you understand, it's very important to have Dropbox always running and synchronizing data with the server.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 28, 2017

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Create a folder named "memoQ TMs" and a folder named "memoQ Term bases" inside Dropbox folder on both computers. Make sure you use the same version of the memoQ program on both machines. Run memoQ on one of the computers, open "memoQ Options" and then "Locations". Specify the path on Resources tab for Translation memories and Term bases. Do the same for the second computer. The paths on the both computers must point at the same folders, namely "memoQ TMs" and "memoQ Term bases" inside Dropbox folder, although the drives may differ, but it must look like ...\Dropbox\memoQ TMs and ...\Dropbox\memoQ Term bases.
You can do the above procedure for other folders, such as memoQ Projects, LiveDocs corpora, Muses and Light resources. Now you're all set for synchronization. You can start working on one PC with Dropbox on and synchronizing constantly, then turn on the other PC, launch Dropbox, wait for the Dropbox synchronization to complete, open the memoQ project and all your translated segments will be there. As you understand, it's very important to have Dropbox always running and synchronizing data with the server.

This is exactly the procedure I have been using for many years. The only thing is I found the path to the folders must be fully identical, including the drive letter (C: drive) or it can get confused.

Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Local time: 14:31
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 11, 2017

I do not use Dropbox (I find it unnecessarily complicated to move my content in order to sync it), but I've synced the relevant folders using Spideroak and now everything works fine.

So, thanks to you two!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Syncing (offline) MemoQ projects

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »