Thread poster: Gloria Rivera
Gloria Rivera
Gloria Rivera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 27, 2016

Going to a conference is an investment. We attend in order to stay up to date, network with colleagues and companies, and get out of the house!

It is full of activities that go to a fast pace and it can be overwhelming and stressful for newbies and seasoned pros.

If you're a newbie or a pro you could be missing out on how to attend the right classes for you, network efficiently with colleagues, or selling your services.

During this one-hour FREE webinar y
... See more
Going to a conference is an investment. We attend in order to stay up to date, network with colleagues and companies, and get out of the house!

It is full of activities that go to a fast pace and it can be overwhelming and stressful for newbies and seasoned pros.

If you're a newbie or a pro you could be missing out on how to attend the right classes for you, network efficiently with colleagues, or selling your services.

During this one-hour FREE webinar you will learn tips and tricks that will help you navigate a conference and get the most bang out of your buck.

The event is free, but you need to register here--> http://bit.ly/2djJmep

If you can't attend: Don't worry! The replay will be provided for 7 days.

See you on the 29th!

Gloria

https://www.facebook.com/events/164617363996617
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Investments Oct 27, 2016

Dear Gloria,

I'm a seasoned translator in the USA and I've been to a variety of conferences, not all of them ATA conferences.

I can only speak for myself, but valuable information in any profession is never free. I'm not passing judgment on the 'free' aspect of webinars, but offering something to think about.

For starters, information is never free. If the information is adequately organized so that readers, viewers or users can utilize it to acquire someth
... See more
Dear Gloria,

I'm a seasoned translator in the USA and I've been to a variety of conferences, not all of them ATA conferences.

I can only speak for myself, but valuable information in any profession is never free. I'm not passing judgment on the 'free' aspect of webinars, but offering something to think about.

For starters, information is never free. If the information is adequately organized so that readers, viewers or users can utilize it to acquire something valuable, then the information has value and should not be given for free.

We translators need to reconsider what we ask: we want to be paid a fair fee for our services, yet we want free software. We want to be taken seriously, but we offer free information (webinars, brochures, seminars, etc.). We want to sound and look professional, yet we tend to use free email and web services.

We need to reflect on this double discourse, this contradictory message we're giving the world.

Strictly speaking, conferences, seminars, etc. are not investments but business or educational expenses. That's how I include them in my tax return forms.
Collapse

Gloria Rivera
Gloria Rivera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are so right! Oct 28, 2016

Dear Mario,

I am also a seasoned translator and interpreter, in spite of my short age, and have attended a bunch of conferences.

I totally agree with the fact that valuable information is never free. In fact, several people that have taken my free webinars have contacted me and told me they did not expect any valuable content and that they were surprised after they took one of mine.

Ever since I was in school and med school, my parents would encourage me
... See more
Dear Mario,

I am also a seasoned translator and interpreter, in spite of my short age, and have attended a bunch of conferences.

I totally agree with the fact that valuable information is never free. In fact, several people that have taken my free webinars have contacted me and told me they did not expect any valuable content and that they were surprised after they took one of mine.

Ever since I was in school and med school, my parents would encourage me to give back to the community. So, when I became an instructor for medical interpretation I decided to do so through free webinars.

The whole point is helping people understand that, as in any profession, we need to keep our skills up to date and increase them. I have met a lot of people that do not know that attending webinars, seminars, or conferences is tax deductible. That is my "grain of sand" and how I want to help people and the profession move forward.

I hope to "see you" this Saturday!

Best,

Gloria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

*Free Webinar* Crush it at Conferences!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »