Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Using your own name as company name, or a more commercial name?
Thread poster: Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:59
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last thing to be done Jun 10, 2015

I might just settle for NVDB Vertalingen, unless I get a brilliant idea (in the next couple of weeks, or even in the next couple of years)...
In fact I have a plan for everything besides the name, and I would just like to start translating. I am looking forward to the time when I will be settled and when I will be able to spend most of my time translating.

I do want the name to represent "me" but I don't like thinking about it the entire time, because I fear that it will resu
... See more
I might just settle for NVDB Vertalingen, unless I get a brilliant idea (in the next couple of weeks, or even in the next couple of years)...
In fact I have a plan for everything besides the name, and I would just like to start translating. I am looking forward to the time when I will be settled and when I will be able to spend most of my time translating.

I do want the name to represent "me" but I don't like thinking about it the entire time, because I fear that it will result in a name that is either too commercial, or too awkard...

Oh: and about the picture: I was still going to change that, but still have to update my profile. I have changed quite a lot since that picture was taken. The only nice thing I like about the picture in fact is... the food! This picture was taken in Spain while eating a traditional Spanish paella.

But in fact this topic is getting a bit out of hand...
I just tried to get an idea of what other people chose and why, especially because it could not only be useful to me that way, but also to other people (starters, or translators who desire to change their trading name). I think I let it become too much of a personal question, which was not my intention.

[Edited at 2015-06-10 07:30 GMT]
Collapse

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to German
+ ...
Just something positive and easy to remember Jun 10, 2015

Hi Nele,

I don't think your clients will spend much time thinking about your business name as long as you chose something that sounds positive and is easy to remember/ spell. But I remember that I spent about a month thinking about a name (and getting on the nervs of my family with it).

Finally, I took a german "Fremdwörterbuch", a dictionary which explains greek/latin... terms that are used in german and went through it from Abacus to Zylinder. That's how I found Dial
... See more
Hi Nele,

I don't think your clients will spend much time thinking about your business name as long as you chose something that sounds positive and is easy to remember/ spell. But I remember that I spent about a month thinking about a name (and getting on the nervs of my family with it).

Finally, I took a german "Fremdwörterbuch", a dictionary which explains greek/latin... terms that are used in german and went through it from Abacus to Zylinder. That's how I found Dialog.

I did like "Ypsilon" as well (the Name for the letter y in greek and german) just because it sounds nice and Looks nice, but didn't take it as it has nothing to do with translation or myself.
Collapse

Nele Van den Broeck
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rather funny Jun 10, 2015

That's rather funny Christina, I just went through that phase as well...
I just was like: "Oh, maybe Omega Vertalingen" "Oh, maybe Minerva Vertalingen" (Minerva is the Roman Godess of Wisdom, which I liked, but then I concluded that it would be to vague for most people, that they would not "get" it, and I did not want to choose "Athena" Vertalingen, which would be much more known, because it reminds me too much of Greek and I don't offer Greek, so that would end up confusing my potential c
... See more
That's rather funny Christina, I just went through that phase as well...
I just was like: "Oh, maybe Omega Vertalingen" "Oh, maybe Minerva Vertalingen" (Minerva is the Roman Godess of Wisdom, which I liked, but then I concluded that it would be to vague for most people, that they would not "get" it, and I did not want to choose "Athena" Vertalingen, which would be much more known, because it reminds me too much of Greek and I don't offer Greek, so that would end up confusing my potential clients).

I think I'm just overthinking my problem because at the moment I have way too much time, which hopefully will change once I really start translating.
I am already translating as a volunteer, but don't have a translation job for them either at the moment, so I guess I just have too much time (later on I will probably wish I have more time) and since I already have arranged all of the other practical things, I have only that thing to worry about.

For people who are still looking for a (better) trading name for their business, I found this article (written in 2005 though) to be helpful in order to know what NOT to pick.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/76958
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Vertalingen not such a simple international word Jun 10, 2015

As you seem to be getting closer to deciding on a company name that includes 'Vertalingen', I'd just like to repeat one of the things I mentioned earlier: Make sure you choose a name that is easy to remember and spell for your potential clients. If you are aiming for Dutch clients only, no problem. If you are aiming for British or Spanish clients, big problem. French, I don't know about, but I imagine it would be as difficult for French people to remember/spell Vertalingen as it will be for Brit... See more
As you seem to be getting closer to deciding on a company name that includes 'Vertalingen', I'd just like to repeat one of the things I mentioned earlier: Make sure you choose a name that is easy to remember and spell for your potential clients. If you are aiming for Dutch clients only, no problem. If you are aiming for British or Spanish clients, big problem. French, I don't know about, but I imagine it would be as difficult for French people to remember/spell Vertalingen as it will be for British and Spanish clients.

If you want to be international, you're better off with an international name.

And before any British, American, Spanish or French translators take offence, be assured that I have no doubt that YOU can spell Vertalingen, but you are probably not likely to become Nele's clients.
Collapse

Nele Van den Broeck
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was thinking that as well, but just wanted to include something Dutch... Jun 10, 2015

Gitte, I was having the exact same problem with "Vertalingen" (instead of Translations), but I was hoping that Vertalingen could make it clear to future clients that my target language would be Dutch...
I also checked the Belgian Yellow Pages in order to see what other Belgian translators used trading name, and found out that quite a lot use "Vertalingen", "Vertaler" or "Vertaalbureau".

The sad thing about Dutch: apparently that hard to pronounce for non-Dutchspeaking people.<
... See more
Gitte, I was having the exact same problem with "Vertalingen" (instead of Translations), but I was hoping that Vertalingen could make it clear to future clients that my target language would be Dutch...
I also checked the Belgian Yellow Pages in order to see what other Belgian translators used trading name, and found out that quite a lot use "Vertalingen", "Vertaler" or "Vertaalbureau".

The sad thing about Dutch: apparently that hard to pronounce for non-Dutchspeaking people.

I have been getting some more information about the whole "trading name vs legal name" thing here in Belgium, and have been told that I can change my trading name at any time for free.
In the worst case, I will start with a temporary name next month (in less than a month... something that at the same time makes me feel enormously excited, but a bit anxious as well) and change it a bit later.
I already had the idea to sign e-mails by my real name and trading name als well.
E.g.:
Kind regards,

Nele Van den Broeck
*insert trading name + logo*

I believe that as a starter, your "ideal" trading name will possibly change as well, right?
At the moment I don't really have an exact specialization.
I know what subjects are definitely off limits for me (specialized legal translations, IT, construction, highly technical texts), but during my education at university, I discovered that there are a lot of other domains still possible for me (because of a very diverse family, I also have quite a lot of background knowledge about medicine, economy and tourism for example).

I will just try to stop overthinking my name, make a list of the things that are important to me and that need to be clear to my clients:
- That I translate out of French, Spanish and English and into Dutch.
- That I always work meticulously (although I will probably not take that into consideration for a name, since in fact that is just what is expected from a translator).
I think I will maybe look for a name that at least makes it clear that I translate.
In that case, most of the other things will then be explained in the "about" section.

I can now definitely say that looking for a name is not my cup of tea...
I just want to get translating again!
Collapse

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to German
+ ...
Vertalingen Jun 11, 2015

@ Gitte

This is a very important point.

A french, english, spanish (german, greek or polish) client who want´s you to translate a text probably doesn´t speak Dutch and therefore doesn´t know that vertalingen means translating.

Perhaps you would be better off with a name like "The dutch translator", "Dutchmessage" "Textindutch" ...?

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
An example logo from a fellow Prozian Jun 12, 2015

Hi Nele

Just spotted this featured translator on the Proz home page.

http://www.proz.com/translator/1419338

An example of the use of own name and flags...

Gitte

Nele Van den Broeck
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Gitte! Jun 12, 2015

I already had something similar in mind (different position and so on, but also with little flags).
I am not so sure about my name yet...
I hope to be able to sort that out quite quickly, if not I will start with NVDB Vertalingen/Translations and wait for a good idea to form itself in my head.

I am just not prepared to wait to start my "carreer" until I have a name I really like.
I have already sorted out everything else, and who knows how long this naming proces
... See more
I already had something similar in mind (different position and so on, but also with little flags).
I am not so sure about my name yet...
I hope to be able to sort that out quite quickly, if not I will start with NVDB Vertalingen/Translations and wait for a good idea to form itself in my head.

I am just not prepared to wait to start my "carreer" until I have a name I really like.
I have already sorted out everything else, and who knows how long this naming process will still take?
I might wake up with a magnificent idea tomorrow, or it might take me years...

It's a bit like my dayjob right now: I don't really like what I do at the moment, but at least I got started.
If I would have waited and would not have accepted anything except for my dream job, 1) I would have gone mad by now and 2) I would have been broke by now (and therefore would not have had the ressources to start as a freelancer either).
I started working at my dayjob in November, and now that I have a job, I can quietly look for my dreamjob (or start freelancing full-time in a couple of years)...
Collapse

Nele Van den Broeck
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick update Jun 15, 2015

In the meantime I think I do have a good logo...(I'm still going to test it for usage on business cards, I plan to do this and change my profile picture this evening).

No decent name yet, so at the moment it's still NVDB Translations.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using your own name as company name, or a more commercial name?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »