Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
DipTrans, BDÜ, CIoL - for seasoned translators?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No black and white May 19, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Neither translators nor graders are machines, and there is a million ways of translating the same text. If the translator and graders are all on the same page not only about the mere contents of a translation, but also in terms of translation strategies, pragmatics, style, etc. the translation is deemed to be good, and the opposite is also true if there are different ideas of what constitutes a good translation. Just as in any other kind of art or craft.

Sure, but in my humble opinion a grader who is worth their salt should be able to abstract from their personal views and recognize a good translation even if it differs from how they themselves would have translated.

Very honestly, the more I learn about translation and the more experienced I get, the more I think that a good translation is made up of such a host of factors that it is very hard to decide what is a good translation and what is not. To me, there is a lot of gray in the picture and very little black and white. Succeeding in translation (or in a certification exam, for that matter) is a lot about matching the reader's (or grader's) shades of gray.

Edited to add this: My statement above refers, of course, to a situation in which the basics of a reasonably valid translation are covered.

[Edited at 2015-05-19 17:10 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans, BDÜ, CIoL - for seasoned translators?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »