Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Have you written a brochure to promote your freelance translation business?
Thread poster: Michael Farrell
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Apr 4, 2015

Not even a website.

I exclusively use my proz.com profile for promotional purpose. I also have my cv which I send out to clients. It is also available for download from my proz.com profile.

The few direct clients I have, know me for years, and don't require any brochure to convince them of my translation or writing abilities. New ones find me, rather than me going out to look for them. They too don't need any brochure.

Brochures are only useful in their pap
... See more
Not even a website.

I exclusively use my proz.com profile for promotional purpose. I also have my cv which I send out to clients. It is also available for download from my proz.com profile.

The few direct clients I have, know me for years, and don't require any brochure to convince them of my translation or writing abilities. New ones find me, rather than me going out to look for them. They too don't need any brochure.

Brochures are only useful in their paper versions, which you can physically sent or give to people. I operate completely on the internet and here a brochure would be too complicated to develop and open - most clients won't know what to do with an electronic brochure. They will be more comfortable with a Word format cv, or a simple html page which they can click and open, such as a proz.com profile.
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:35
French to German
+ ...
False friend Apr 4, 2015

@ Richard: It might is, but English is not one of my working languages, I only learnt English 30 years ago for a few years in school. So I do not pretend being perfect in it nor would I be able to correct the sentence.

[Modifié le 2015-04-04 14:43 GMT]

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Andrea, a helping hand Apr 4, 2015

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

@ Richard: It might is, but English is not one of my working languages, I only learnt English 30 years ago for a few years in school. So I do not pretend being perfect in it nor would I be able to correct the sentence.

[Modifié le 2015-04-04 14:43 GMT]

I think Richard was trying to be helpful. To expose yourself could be understood as you showing yourself naked. You can simply replace 'exposed' with 'introduced'.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
False friend Apr 4, 2015

@ Gitte: Okay, quite fun that... Thank you!

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
German to English
+ ...
Gitte was right, Andrea... Apr 4, 2015

I was not making fun of you. I saw that English is not one of your working languages so I was just making you aware of the 'interesting' false friend!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
No Apr 7, 2015

I've just completed your survey, Michael, and the answer is, no, I haven't written a brochure to promote my freelance business.
I've already got a mountain of business cards that I rarely give out, and I think a brochure would also gather dust.
An electronic brochure format could work I suppose, but I find my website and blog are pretty effective for marketing purposes.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It's a nice touch Apr 7, 2015

FWIW, I was recently invited to judge a translation business contest at a university and the IT>EN team had produced a brochure (just an A4 piece of paper folded into three) rather than a website to market themselves. When I asked them why they'd done this they said that they preferred the "personal touch" and it was clear that this permeated their whole business model. I was very impressed and liked their approach. They didn't win but scored a lot of points for that alone.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you written a brochure to promote your freelance translation business?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »