Thread poster: Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2015

I was trying to figure out a way to use Facebook to promote my business a little more and was wondering how others use social media, if at all, in the promotion of their craft.

Is there an easy way to link our profile on proz.com to a Facebook page?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
German to English
+ ...
Idea... Apr 2, 2015

Search for other translators on social media. If you like what they're doing, do it. If you don't, don't.

I don't use Facebook but I believe you can launch a business page on there and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't link to your proz profile from that. Although why you'd want to do that rather than just build the Facebook page I'm not sure.

Personally, I don't think my target clients are the sort of people who spend their days 'lolling' on Facebook, but if you th
... See more
Search for other translators on social media. If you like what they're doing, do it. If you don't, don't.

I don't use Facebook but I believe you can launch a business page on there and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't link to your proz profile from that. Although why you'd want to do that rather than just build the Facebook page I'm not sure.

Personally, I don't think my target clients are the sort of people who spend their days 'lolling' on Facebook, but if you think yours are then go for it.

HTH (as they say on social media!).
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
+ ...
Hyperlinks Apr 2, 2015

I haven't set up a Facebook page myself, but you can include hyperlinks and badges in the 'about' section on your Proz profile. I've got one for LinkedIn and Twitter: there's a little tutorial about hyperlinks here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=html_tutorial

Hope that helps!

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I´m afraid... Apr 2, 2015

...you will find almost all of the proz members on "social medias" meanwhile according to rumours. Of course all agencies jobs there will be better paid

SMYBR ("send me your best rate", as they might say there).

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
It's possible to get direct customers via Facebook Apr 2, 2015

It's possible to get in touch with direct customers threw Facebook, but it means a lot of work. I do not really see why I should link my profile on ProZ to my Facebook page.

Another good point: Facebook allows you to get in touch with other freelancers who might one day do have a customer in your language pair.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use it Apr 2, 2015

Most of my work comes from Facebook right now, with a few prospects on Twitter. Its effectiveness will depend a lot on the market that you're trying to capture, but it can be very beneficial.

The biggest mistake that people make is that they join translator groups expecting to find work. There aren't usually any clients there, just other translators. For example, I love translating video games. There are a few video game localization groups on Facebook, but again, they're full of tr
... See more
Most of my work comes from Facebook right now, with a few prospects on Twitter. Its effectiveness will depend a lot on the market that you're trying to capture, but it can be very beneficial.

The biggest mistake that people make is that they join translator groups expecting to find work. There aren't usually any clients there, just other translators. For example, I love translating video games. There are a few video game localization groups on Facebook, but again, they're full of translators. Now, the independent video game developer groups have very few translators in them, but a lot of potential clients. Those are the groups that you need to look for and join. Even more importantly, you have to be active and participate in those conversations. Your success will depend on your effort.

Marketing is all about forming a relationship with your client. Just go to where your customer is, understand their needs, show them how you can add value, and be available when the project comes.

Blogging and YouTube are two other effective tools, if you have the time and resources for them.
Collapse

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas Apr 2, 2015

Great feedback everyone, I appreciate it.

Triston, I definitely appreciate your ideas. Thanks!

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Depends Apr 3, 2015

In my opinion, social media is a tool to help you network with colleagues and to understand what your "competition" is doing (online), with the latter being extremely useful but to be taken with a pinch of salt. What I mean is that looking at what others are doing could be a bit misleading especially when it comes to tips and patterns of success that cannot be applied to your own situation, language pairs, country of residence, budget etc.

What Triston said is very true.

... See more
In my opinion, social media is a tool to help you network with colleagues and to understand what your "competition" is doing (online), with the latter being extremely useful but to be taken with a pinch of salt. What I mean is that looking at what others are doing could be a bit misleading especially when it comes to tips and patterns of success that cannot be applied to your own situation, language pairs, country of residence, budget etc.

What Triston said is very true.

Find out where your clients are and make yourself available. Always be professional and humble. Time is too precious to just be out there using a combination of social media channels on a daily basis without a marketing plan.

I personally invest my time working (goes without saying), writing on my blog (only when time permits) and "allow" myself using Twitter because there are some amazing colleagues there with whom to share ideas and experience.

Another thing regarding professionalism and social media: End clients and agencies are not interested in your online profile, presence or posts. They want to feel comfortable and convinced you are the right candidate for the job.

Don't follow what everyone is doing. Follow what you "should" be doing for your business.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using social media to promote yourself

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »