Jan Kovačič  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 10:32
Member (2020)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2015

Hello fellow translators,

I built my website, ogma-translations.com, and I try to keep it up-to-date and user-friendly. I did some SEO too and it's not so bad, but I still need to work on it a bit. Can you please give leave me a feedback about what should I improve? Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
Jan K.

Katherine Rutter
Katherine Rutter
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
French to English
the English needs some work Mar 29, 2015

I like the layout of your website and the presentation of your CV. There are some mistakes in the English, I think it would be worth spending the money on having it revised by a native speaker.

NecdetB
NecdetB  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:32
German to Turkish
+ ...
Few suggestions to improve look and feel Mar 29, 2015

The "Welcome" part of the page is overall fine - except the separator line with that star. I don't think it looks serious enough. Choose another dingbat, even a simple bullet would be better, IMHO. Use also a proper dash (m or n), instead of hyphen, to separate your services.

The logos under "clients" follow no design logic. They look as if they had been thrown there by chance. Their sizes are too big, hence distracting. Try to keep them in the same size as much as possible. You may
... See more
The "Welcome" part of the page is overall fine - except the separator line with that star. I don't think it looks serious enough. Choose another dingbat, even a simple bullet would be better, IMHO. Use also a proper dash (m or n), instead of hyphen, to separate your services.

The logos under "clients" follow no design logic. They look as if they had been thrown there by chance. Their sizes are too big, hence distracting. Try to keep them in the same size as much as possible. You may also consider giving them all an uniform look, e.g. all in gray, as they would still remain recognizable.

Increase font size of the text under "About" by 2 or 3 points. Balance the paragraphs and place the Gmail icon and Proz logo under the text.

Show your "main areas" in two or three columns, e.g. 3 columns X 2 rows. Again, make the icons there look uniform in color (see social media icons at the bottom of the page). Currently your website ist a bit "colourful".
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Where is your USP? Mar 29, 2015

A website and a CV for a freelance translator need to be very different from the same things for applying for a job. Your website is halfway between.

Agencies get many such emails every day, and you have 10 seconds to trigger their interest. On your website it is quite difficult to work out exactly what you offer. A whole section devoted to a handful of client logos, then an "About" page in tiny letters and a lot of rather general stuff about your experience and your favourite area
... See more
A website and a CV for a freelance translator need to be very different from the same things for applying for a job. Your website is halfway between.

Agencies get many such emails every day, and you have 10 seconds to trigger their interest. On your website it is quite difficult to work out exactly what you offer. A whole section devoted to a handful of client logos, then an "About" page in tiny letters and a lot of rather general stuff about your experience and your favourite areas - with still more graphics.

A freelance CV needs to be like a sales brochure, emphasising your USP and with more specific information about what work you have done recently.

A bit harsh, perhaps, but to misquote you, wooly websites and CVs are a common mistake done by many individual translators.
Collapse

Jan Kovačič
Jan Kovačič  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2020)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Much appreciated Mar 29, 2015

All of your posts have been very eye-opening. Honestly, I didn't expect so much criticism, and I'm really happy that I posted this thread. I'm quite new, so your critics will help me to expand my horizons and help my business.
Meanwhile, I will work on it and take every single opinion into consideration.

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
My 2 cents Mar 31, 2015

Since I am not a native English speaking person I won't comment on this side. However, I noticed the contacts you put on your websites and thought about things that people have told me. One of them is that you create your website for clients apart from agencies, in other words direct clients, there is no need for you to direct them to contact you through Proz.com, you should let them contact you directly. When direct clients learn to post jobs at Proz and very likely that others will offer their... See more
Since I am not a native English speaking person I won't comment on this side. However, I noticed the contacts you put on your websites and thought about things that people have told me. One of them is that you create your website for clients apart from agencies, in other words direct clients, there is no need for you to direct them to contact you through Proz.com, you should let them contact you directly. When direct clients learn to post jobs at Proz and very likely that others will offer their services at dumping rates regardless of the quality, You may lose a business chance and create a bad precedence.

It is your own website and so let them contact you directly, dont create a middle step. If you think you should link your website to a reliable source, link it to your school websites, organization websites you used to work for or link it to your sample works.
Collapse

Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
Readability Apr 1, 2015

Hi Jan
just a couple of thoughts visiting your website (warning: beginner comment).
I agree with Little Woods about the choice to add a 'Proz' button and I will think twice about it (launching my website, too).
Moreover, I should use a smaller print for titles. Time spent by visitors (i.e. potential clients) browsing through your page is not so much, so they won't scroll through a lot to find what they are searching for.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »