Encoding problem when uploading files to the site
Thread poster: H Habraliova
Feb 25, 2016

Hello, everyone!

I’ve encountered a problem with encoding.
I am a localization/content manager on the side of the customer.
We have ordered translation of our site into several languages – namely Spanish, Portuguese and German.
When I received the translated files there were a lot of symbols like ñ ó etc. in the source code of the target files. If I open these files in Trados – the html characters were not visible. Only the actual umlauts etc
... See more
Hello, everyone!

I’ve encountered a problem with encoding.
I am a localization/content manager on the side of the customer.
We have ordered translation of our site into several languages – namely Spanish, Portuguese and German.
When I received the translated files there were a lot of symbols like ñ ó etc. in the source code of the target files. If I open these files in Trados – the html characters were not visible. Only the actual umlauts etc. The encoding seemes to be UTF-8.
So, we uploaded the files to the site. The HTML characters showed up on the site, which really looks bad. At the same time we’ve ordered Thai, Chinese and Arabic translations (same source files were sent to all translators). And in these languages there are even more exotic characters and they are displayed in source code and on the site perfectly well.
Here is the question: does the problem lie in the files? Faulty source files? Or faulty translated files? Should I ask the translators to correct them? What exactly should be corrected? Or our site does not work properly?
I am using Trados 2015, our translators – different versions of Trados, not sure which exaclty. I can find out if it’s important.
We’ve already worked with these translators before and translated html and resx files and uploaded them to the site without this problem.
I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.
I’d be glad to answer any additional questions.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem when uploading files to the site

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »