Why do some questions never get closed?
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2016

I've just been looking at the questions I've answered in the past. Sometimes the asker loses interest and/or forgets to award points, so the question remains open forever. Some of mine go all the way back to 2009.

Why are all questions not automatically closed, and points awarded, after a certain time?

Oleg Delendyk
Oleg Delendyk
Ukraine
Local time: 02:08
English to Russian
+ ...
A reasonable question. Feb 27, 2016

-

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:08
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I ask myself the same question Feb 27, 2016

Sometimes when I'm using the term search I come across a question that's been open for years. If I think one of the answers is correct or I find it useful, I agree with it in the hope someone else will do the same, thus closing the question automatically.

I think before a question can be closed automatically, at least two people have to agree with it.

Personally I find it annoying from both an answerer and user's point of view. But I suppose some people are unaware tha
... See more
Sometimes when I'm using the term search I come across a question that's been open for years. If I think one of the answers is correct or I find it useful, I agree with it in the hope someone else will do the same, thus closing the question automatically.

I think before a question can be closed automatically, at least two people have to agree with it.

Personally I find it annoying from both an answerer and user's point of view. But I suppose some people are unaware that there are a series of KudoZ rules, or they don't want to follow them.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Feb 27, 2016

This is a test post; please don't mind it.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 16:57 GMT]

Kirsten Larsen (X)
Kirsten Larsen (X)
Spain
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Good question. Feb 27, 2016

I sometimes invest quite a bit of time researching in order to be able to help a collegue, it is truly annoying to find the question open a long time afterwards.

Kirsten

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Two "net agrees" are needed to automatically close those questions Feb 27, 2016

Here is the explanation:
http://www.proz.com/faq/2731#2731

So, on the practical level, if you are keen to resolve it, you need to recruit two friends to comb through those questions and agree with one of the answers. Or, you can just get one friend, and both of you agree to an answer other than yours. Then the system would close those old questions.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
They are not closed for laziness Feb 27, 2016

most of the times if there are answers at all (there are also questions without any answer though..). Or maybe because those who asked the question don't have any clue of what they are supposed to look for

As the answers need at least two agrees, if you feel like, you can go through the questions in your language(s) and give a second agree, if there is one already and you are convinced of the answer. That's what I d
... See more
most of the times if there are answers at all (there are also questions without any answer though..). Or maybe because those who asked the question don't have any clue of what they are supposed to look for

As the answers need at least two agrees, if you feel like, you can go through the questions in your language(s) and give a second agree, if there is one already and you are convinced of the answer. That's what I do from time to time because I find it very annoying and most ungrateful if questions don't get closed.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-02-27 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
I don't know Feb 27, 2016

When I have an open question, at some point I get bombarded with emails from the ProZ system apparently, asking me to choose the most helpful answer. But I agree, if I don't choose an answer the system should close the question after some length of time.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 28, 2016

There are askers who keep posting questions but then do not bother closing any one of their questions. A solution might be not to answer that person's question/s any more. Filter out askers. It might seem drastic but the amount of questions that are never closed seems to grow each passing day and it is not fair to the ones that answer to help or to others seeking an answer themselves when looking up something.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I have a different complaint Feb 28, 2016

I have a different complaint:

On the (rare but useful) occasions on which I ask a Kudoz question I usually get the answer I need within a few minutes, or an hour or two at most.

Yet the points-awarding, best-answer-selecting thing keeps going for days on end.

There ought to be a way for the asker her/himself to close a question, award the points, and end the whole story without waiting. Translators have deadlines. We don't hang around for 24-36-48 hours wa
... See more

On the (rare but useful) occasions on which I ask a Kudoz question I usually get the answer I need within a few minutes, or an hour or two at most.

Yet the points-awarding, best-answer-selecting thing keeps going for days on end.

There ought to be a way for the asker her/himself to close a question, award the points, and end the whole story without waiting. Translators have deadlines. We don't hang around for 24-36-48 hours waiting for an answer to a Kudoz question.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 12:58 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Other considerations Feb 28, 2016

I agree with Tom in London and that may be another reason why questions do not get closed. It is far easier to close a question there and then once one has received an answer which has been validated by 1 agree or which makes sense in your context than having to wait 24 hours before awarding points and closing it as one would be busy with other work then. another consideration is that the asker might still not consider the answer given and agreed to as the right choice for his/her context so can... See more
I agree with Tom in London and that may be another reason why questions do not get closed. It is far easier to close a question there and then once one has received an answer which has been validated by 1 agree or which makes sense in your context than having to wait 24 hours before awarding points and closing it as one would be busy with other work then. another consideration is that the asker might still not consider the answer given and agreed to as the right choice for his/her context so cannot exactly award points and close an answer or close the answer without awarding points. Maybe, in this case, an option of saying that answer was found elsewhere as 'not fitting for context' might help. The last consideration is that certain askers post questions- a few understandably, not many-just do not bother once an answer has been received.Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The time factor Feb 28, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

There ought to be a way for the asker her/himself to close a question, award the points, and end the whole story without waiting. Translators have deadlines. We don't hang around for 24-36-48 hours waiting for an answer to a Kudoz question.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 12:58 GMT]

Indeed, our colleagues are fast with them helpful answers. So why can't we be with awarding the points?

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Open questions --> no new questions Feb 28, 2016

There would be an easy solution for all that:

Persons who have more than 3 open questions since a certain period, can't ask other questions.

I think that there are sometimes also translators around who do not give points because the answerers would have more points than they do then and would have a better ranking...

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:08
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
There is a limit on open question Feb 29, 2016

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

There would be an easy solution for all that:

Persons who have more than 3 open questions since a certain period, can't ask other questions.

I think that there are sometimes also translators around who do not give points because the answerers would have more points than they do then and would have a better ranking...

There is a limit on open question, as indicated in the FAQs: "If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

Regards,
Enrique

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Limit on open questions Feb 29, 2016

But is the policy always followed? I mean unless someone points out that X has asked 10 questions without closing 10 or more of them, how does site staff keep account of questions asked and which remained closed? As I think there is also a rule that says a non-paying member cannot ask more that 1 or 2 questions per day but I am noticing that certain non-paying members are asking more than the allowed quota. That is easy to spot unlike when a member asks questions, receives valid answers but does... See more
But is the policy always followed? I mean unless someone points out that X has asked 10 questions without closing 10 or more of them, how does site staff keep account of questions asked and which remained closed? As I think there is also a rule that says a non-paying member cannot ask more that 1 or 2 questions per day but I am noticing that certain non-paying members are asking more than the allowed quota. That is easy to spot unlike when a member asks questions, receives valid answers but does not close questions. Someone, other than site staff, has to point this out to site staff.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do some questions never get closed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »