Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How many Kudoz askers have you put on ignore?
Thread poster: Tom in London
DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Phil/Tom Jan 12, 2016

What I do is actually utterly pointless - as we used to say in pre-PC days "pissing in the wind". It gives me a spurious sense of having some control. But every asker I filter is in fact replaced by 1 + epsilon worse ones.

Bring on MT I say.

P.S. I'd like to post some links to questions that led me to a filter - but the moderators would probably delete.
And you both could guess some of those askers anyway.

[Edited at 2016-01-12 16:02 GMT]

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
Local time: 13:08
French to English
+ ...
Let us lend a helping hand to novices & apprentices in cyberspace Jan 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Call me cynical if you like, but in such cases I become suspicious about who's asking and who's answering....

In days of old, a staff translator in a multinational corporation, an EU institution, translation company with inhouse translators vs. an agency also farming out or 'outsourcing' to freelance(r)s could wander into another room (or even an unrelated-business office within the same building) and pick the brains of colleagues day in, day out, week in, week out - in my case for 6 months.

Usually 'suspect' novices and apprentices do not take that route into the profession and rely on Internet questioning, eliciting answers from 'licit' respondents vs. 'suspects' who may have their own agenda of making an impression and drumming up I&T business.

[Edited at 2016-01-13 11:36 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
BTW Jan 13, 2016

I just noticed one answerer that I always tend to ignore, but I wouldn't block this person, as I find their bumbling attempts and unwarranted self-confidence rather amusing...

Achmad Fuad Lubis
Achmad Fuad Lubis  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Stricter enforcement of KudoZ rules desirable Jan 15, 2016

KudoZ has published rules for users (http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=general) including the code of ethics and procedures for enforcement, termination and clarification. Furthermore, it is supported by member services and support team comprising 10 persons. Perhaps we have different profile of askers and answerers depending on the different language forums, but in my native language forum, I feel I have benefited much from KudoZ as a novice not only in building ... See more
KudoZ has published rules for users (http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=general) including the code of ethics and procedures for enforcement, termination and clarification. Furthermore, it is supported by member services and support team comprising 10 persons. Perhaps we have different profile of askers and answerers depending on the different language forums, but in my native language forum, I feel I have benefited much from KudoZ as a novice not only in building up Glossaries of terms, but also in the accompanying discussions often involving 3 or more answerers and many peer comments. I think the existence of KudoZ helps to the realization of ProZ.com as a language workplace. Maybe more attention should be paid to the enforcement of the rules to minimize the ignore list of askers.Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:08
Russian to English
+ ...
@Max and @Phil Jan 16, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

I bailed out of Kudoz half a year ago...

I wondered what happened to you, Max. I'm sorry you bailed out, as I have found your help useful over the years.

phil goddard wrote:

"...trip to Novosibirsk."

Novosibirsk is actually a nice place! I taught English at a summer camp near there a few years ago. Maybe you should send them to Kolyma instead!

//
I should add that I have about 25 on "filter."

[Edited at 2016-01-16 13:25 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's right Jan 16, 2016

gad wrote:

I know this thread is about putting askers on ignore, but just wondering if askers are able to block certain members/users from answering their questions? It just would seem fair. (Please note that I have not asked a KudoZ question in a long time.)

gad, I totally agree with you. To make it fair, an asker should have the right to remove the answers provided by certain answerers.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
@gad and @jyuan Jan 16, 2016

I think that's too vindictive. It's easy enough to ignore an answer if you think it's crap. Someone might post an idiotic answer but still mean well, just trying to help out. I've done so myself.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sometimes people just deserve it Jan 17, 2016

Susan Welsh wrote:

I think that's too vindictive. It's easy enough to ignore an answer if you think it's crap. Someone might post an idiotic answer but still mean well, just trying to help out. I've done so myself.

I've had occasion to ask for French to English translations, having made it quite clear that I don't read French. Someone decided to post an answer in French anyway, responding snidely that they couldn't be bothered when called out by a third party.

Participating in Kudoz is of course voluntary, but I think there's a special place in hell for people who volunteer their time for the express purpose of wasting other people's.

[Edited at 2016-01-17 01:31 GMT]

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
298 Jan 17, 2016

I forgot to mention ingrates.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Kudoz askers have you put on ignore?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »