Thread poster: matt robinson
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:32
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Jul 18, 2015

What criteria should we apply when deciding whether a terminology question is pro or non-pro?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Matt Jul 18, 2015

Matt Robinson wrote:
What criteria should we apply when deciding whether a terminology question is pro or non-pro?

If you're just curious about something, mark it "non-pro" but if you're planning on using the answers in a paid translation that you're doing, mark it as "pro". If you think your question can be answered by anyone with a dictionary, mark it as "non-pro", but if you think your question requires answerers to have actual translation skills, mark it as "pro".

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:32
German to English
Criteria for pro vs. non-pro Jul 18, 2015

If you think your question can be answered by anyone with a dictionary and you're getting paid to do a translation for which you need this term, don't post the question.

[Edited at 2015-07-18 12:55 GMT]

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I get it for my questions Jul 18, 2015

...but I was more interested in the voting procedure.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
I hope this will help Jul 18, 2015

Hi Matt,

I hope this FAQ will clarify the issue:

What does the "Vote PRO" or "Vote non-PRO" button do?

In a "help" KudoZ question marked as PRO, participants may vote to have the question marked as non-PRO, and vice versa. Moderators and KudoZ editors have a single vote, like any other user of the site.

Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual pe... See more
Hi Matt,

I hope this FAQ will clarify the issue:

What does the "Vote PRO" or "Vote non-PRO" button do?

In a "help" KudoZ question marked as PRO, participants may vote to have the question marked as non-PRO, and vice versa. Moderators and KudoZ editors have a single vote, like any other user of the site.

Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary. All other questions are PRO. "Glossary-building" KudoZ questions are always PRO and can't be voted into non-PRO.

Three votes for either PRO or non-PRO are required to reclassify a question for the first time, and after that it will reverse its status as soon as there are more votes for the change than against it.

For instance a question asked as non-PRO will require three votes to turn it into PRO (voting 3-0). At this point the button will change to "vote non-PRO" and four votes will turn it into non-PRO (voting 4-3). After that it will take two votes to change the question again in either sense (voting 5-4, 6-5, etc.).

If you have fewer than twenty (20) KudoZ PRO points, you will not see this option.

Access to the voting feature may be limited or revoked at the discretion of ProZ.com staff.

Regards,
Enrique

PS: Following Erik's worthy suggestion below, the definition in the FAQ was changed from
    Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary while PRO questions are those that are suitable for professional translators.

to
    Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary. All other questions are PRO.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Set criteria Jul 18, 2015

As Enrique points out, there are already criteria in place: "Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary while PRO questions are those that are suitable for professional translators."

However, there us still room for a lot of subjectivity and there seems to be a tendency in some people to judge others by their own abilities, so anything that doesn't come up to their own high standards is instantly pooh-poohed as non-pro. P
... See more
As Enrique points out, there are already criteria in place: "Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary while PRO questions are those that are suitable for professional translators."

However, there us still room for a lot of subjectivity and there seems to be a tendency in some people to judge others by their own abilities, so anything that doesn't come up to their own high standards is instantly pooh-poohed as non-pro. Personally, I'm fed up to the back teeth with it, which is why I now post all my queries as non-pro, even though I've been making a living as a translator for over 15 years now...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I always vote PRO... Jul 18, 2015

For roughly the same reasons as neilmac always asks as non-pro!

A few questions are really non-Pro - typically when people for one reason or another ask about something in a language they don't normally work in. (Thanks to Dutch and Swedish colleagues for baling me out on occasions...)

Often the question is actually a lot more subtle than it looks at first glance. If a professional translator needs to know, then I think it is probably PRO.

But that is just
... See more
For roughly the same reasons as neilmac always asks as non-pro!

A few questions are really non-Pro - typically when people for one reason or another ask about something in a language they don't normally work in. (Thanks to Dutch and Swedish colleagues for baling me out on occasions...)

Often the question is actually a lot more subtle than it looks at first glance. If a professional translator needs to know, then I think it is probably PRO.

But that is just my opinion, and I know that it is not shared by everyone.

[Edited at 2015-07-19 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The official guideline can be improved ... Jul 18, 2015

neilmac wrote:

In my opinion, the official guideline could be improved a lot by dropping the second half, so it would read:

"Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary."

This would be a lot less prone to subjective interpretation - quite a useful definition if I'm any judge.

Edited to add: In order to satisfy the habit of reiteration that particularly American English is fond of, I'd suggest: "Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary. All other questions are PRO."

[Bearbeitet am 2015-07-18 17:43 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Definition changed, thanks! Jul 18, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

neilmac wrote:

In my opinion, the official guideline could be improved a lot by dropping the second half, so it would read:

"Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary."

This would be a lot less prone to subjective interpretation - quite a useful definition if I'm any judge.

Edited to add: In order to satisfy the habit of reiteration that particularly American English is fond of, I'd suggest: "Non-PRO questions are those that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary. All other questions are PRO."

Thanks Erik, you are right!
I have changed the definition in line with your suggestion.
Regards,
Enrique

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Beware! Jul 18, 2015

neilmac wrote:

However, there us still room for a lot of subjectivity and there seems to be a tendency in some people to judge others by their own abilities, so anything that doesn't come up to their own high standards is instantly pooh-poohed as non-pro. Personally, I'm fed up to the back teeth with it, which is why I now post all my queries as non-pro, even though I've been making a living as a translator for over 15 years now...

Point hunters will refrain from answering your non-pro questions, but maybe there are still enough people that don't care.

More often, I vote the other way round, non-pro questions to pro.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
German to English
I once posted a non-pro question ... Jul 18, 2015

... and got a couple of complaints from people who thought I was depriving them of the opportunity to get points. I don't recall the question, but it was so embarrassingly elementary that it defied simple research (I couldn't come up with the solution myself, due to brain failure).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So do I Jul 18, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

If a professional translator needs to know, then I think it is probably PRO.

I agree, and I'll take that notion one step further. If I post the query, then it's PRO by nature, even if I'm posting on behalf of someone else.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A question is a question Jul 18, 2015

I find that all this constant worry and arguing about "pro" and "non-pro" is becoming really silly. These categories have to do with the question, not the asker or answerer. Sadly many people are extremely concerned about their "Proz" image and get into an instant huff if one of their questions (asked or answered) is voted 'non-pro' even though it just means the question is easy. We all have moments when the simplest of terms simply escapes us. It doesn't mean we aren't "pro", it just means we'r... See more
I find that all this constant worry and arguing about "pro" and "non-pro" is becoming really silly. These categories have to do with the question, not the asker or answerer. Sadly many people are extremely concerned about their "Proz" image and get into an instant huff if one of their questions (asked or answered) is voted 'non-pro' even though it just means the question is easy. We all have moments when the simplest of terms simply escapes us. It doesn't mean we aren't "pro", it just means we're human.
To stop all this non-stop controversy for once and for all, why not just have "questions". Why should every question be judged and categorized as easy or difficult? If a colleague takes the time and trouble to answer a question whatever the supposed level of difficulty, why not "reward" such an effort with Kudoz points? It would stop all this childish whinging and moaning and peoples' feathers would no longer be ruffled. Imo, it would also make the site appear more professional.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Right, Writeaway. Jul 18, 2015

I agree, let's get rid of "Pro" and "Non-Pro" and just have questions.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
French to English
+ ...
Well... Jul 18, 2015

I tend to agree with writeaway: just have questions.
In any case, this definition has irked me for some time:
No. Non-Pro questions are those that can be answered by anyone who has a reasonable command of the language and purports to be a translator.
Bilingual people are far fewer in number.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pro or non-pro? That is the question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »