A suggestion for making Kudoz more effective
Thread poster: Tom in London
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:15
French to English
. Mar 25, 2015

If there is some suspicion of foul play, it's easy enough to look at the asker's profile and find all the questions they have asked. I guess alarm bells would start to sound if they awarded the points to the same member every time...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
What we are really forgetting... Mar 25, 2015

I'm talking about the kind of asker who has been registered on this website for 10 years, but evidently knows nothing.

[Edited at 2015-03-25 13:51 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:15
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Perhaps... Mar 25, 2015

... this kind of persons you mentioned is no single person at all but an anonymous second or even third profile of an agency, created only for the purpose to post at intervalls questions by their always changing staff / trainees, who are trying to deal with some kinds of jobs by themselves? Just an idea.
Tom in London wrote:
Why should a person like that, who has been offering their services, on this website, as a professional translator, for 10 years, be helped with basic questions that they ought to be able to understand?

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-25 14:25 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Mar 25, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... this kind of persons you mentioned is no single person at all but an anonymous second or even third profile of an agency, created only for the purpose to post at intervalls questions by their always changing staff / trainees, who are trying to deal with some kinds of jobs by themselves? Just an idea.
Tom in London wrote:
Why should a person like that, who has been offering their services, on this website, as a professional translator, for 10 years, be helped with basic questions that they ought to be able to understand?

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-25 13:56 GMT]

That's an interesting thought! If so, it merely adds extra weight to my proposal.

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:15
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The way I look at it ... Sep 30, 2016

Hi Tom,

Does it ever occur to you that the points that you've collected in the past 10 years might come from all those users with incomplete profiles?

Now, being at the top of the list with lots of points, of course it would be convenient for you now to suggest this change and deprive other new members of their opportunity to answer more questions and collect points like what you've done in the past 10 years.

Verdi

[Edited at 2016-09-30 08:59 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
no. Sep 30, 2016

Regi2006 wrote:

Hi Tom,

Does it ever occur to you that the points that you've collected in the past 10 years might come from all those users with incomplete profiles?

Now, being at the top of the list with lots of points, of course it would be convenient for you now to suggest this change and deprive other new members of their opportunity to answer more questions and collect points like you what you've done in the past 10 years.

Verdi

No, it doesn't ever occur to me.

It's up to users to complete their profiles if they want to.

I don't answer Kudoz questions with the aim of collecting points. I answer Kudoz questions because of my interest in language.

In the past, I have heard rumours about abuse of the Kudoz system by paired friends who ask each other questions and award each other points. But I certainly don't do that.

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:15
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Well... Sep 30, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

No, it doesn't ever occur to me.

It's up to users to complete their profiles if they want to.

I don't answer Kudoz questions with the aim of collecting points. I answer Kudoz questions because of my interest in language.

In the past, I have heard rumours about abuse of the Kudoz system by paired friends who ask each other questions and award each other points. But I certainly don't do that.

I think it's for ProZ to decide whether an asker has abused the KudoZ system. If you have a suspicion that she or he has abused the system, just report it to the ProZ staff. But you should not unfairly restrict the opportunities of the new members in this forum to answer as many questions as possible so that they can catch up with you.

In the past 10 years, have you refused to answer questions posted by users with incomplete profiles? Despite of your current dissapointment, I guess many of them have selected your answer as the best answers. I don't mean to accuse you of anything, though. I just wanted to point it out that it's quite possible that you are where you are right now in the search ranking because of their questions.

Verdi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
no again Sep 30, 2016

Regi2006 wrote:I think it's for ProZ to decide whether an asker has abused the KudoZ system.

I agree.

If you have a suspicion that she or he has abused the system, just report it to the ProZ staff.

Yes, that's what I would do.

you should not unfairly restrict the opportunities of the new members in this forum to answer as many questions as possible

I would not want to do that, and even if I did, I would not know how to.

In the past 10 years, have you refused to answer questions posted by users with incomplete profiles?

I have never refused to answer Kudoz questions, although I do often choose not to answer. I'm sure many Prozians do the same.

Despite of your current dissapointment

I am not disappointed about anything.

I don't mean to accuse you of anything, though.

Glad to hear it.

I just wanted to point it out that it's quite possible that you are where you are right now in the search ranking because of their questions.

I think it's more likely that this is because of my answers.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Perhaps ... Sep 30, 2016

... Proz should have a separate section, or a separate website ("Junior Proz"?) for students, language learners and anonymous askers.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A suggestion for making Kudoz more effective

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »