Thread poster: Sandesh Ghimire
Sandesh Ghimire
Sandesh Ghimire  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 03:26
Nepali to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2015

I happen to see the kudos points of the translators having higher points in my language pair. They have been awarded points for the wrong answers. And when I look at the profiles of point givers, they seem to be inactive. Do you think there are fake profiles playing the game?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Support ticket Mar 19, 2015

I really don't know, but this isn't the place to discuss specific profiles so I doubt that much is to be gained from discussing it at all.

I advise you to raise the matter with ProZ.com staff in a Support Ticket. There, you can give links to specific profiles that might be involved in some sort of practice that breaks KudoZ rules.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Some people leave the site Mar 19, 2015

because they get bored with it, are disappointed, stop translating, or even die.

I had a quick look at the questions you answered and there is only one asker profile which is now inactive and one not-logged in visitor. Since one deactivated profile could hardly cause the entire system to be questioned, I assume that you looked at the questions through which other members gained their points in the past, i.e. older questions.
While I certainly wouldn't rule out that some foul p
... See more
because they get bored with it, are disappointed, stop translating, or even die.

I had a quick look at the questions you answered and there is only one asker profile which is now inactive and one not-logged in visitor. Since one deactivated profile could hardly cause the entire system to be questioned, I assume that you looked at the questions through which other members gained their points in the past, i.e. older questions.
While I certainly wouldn't rule out that some foul play does take place, and I would guess that the extent of this is more pronounced in certain language combinations, I consider it more likely that some askers have simply left the site at some point after their question was answered.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Abuse Mar 19, 2015

Sandesh Ghimire wrote:

I happen to see the kudos points of the translators having higher points in my language pair. They have been awarded points for the wrong answers. And when I look at the profiles of point givers, they seem to be inactive. Do you think there are fake profiles playing the game?

If you believe that Kudoz is being abused in this way, you should report it.

Sandesh Ghimire
Sandesh Ghimire  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 03:26
Nepali to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Mar 19, 2015

I guess I should report about it. I need more profound study into the issue.
I don't mean to discuss about the specific profiles. My point is that the points have been awarded to the flawed answers. Just wondering if this can go unnoticed? Also that, is it possible that a person can manage multiple accounts?

Pardon me if my understanding is inadequate.

Many thanks

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not according to site rules Mar 19, 2015

Sandesh Ghimire wrote:
Also that, is it possible that a person can manage multiple accounts?

I would imagine that ProZ.com checks the IP address of new registrations against those already recorded. But I believe you can hide the IP address nowadays, and anyway, people can have multiple IP addresses, I think. So I guess you can do it if you really try hard enough. But attempting to set up two profiles would be in contravention of ProZ.com site rules.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:41
French to English
+ ...
"Unnoticed"? Mar 19, 2015

Sandesh Ghimire wrote:
My point is that the points have been awarded to the flawed answers. Just wondering if this can go unnoticed?

Unfortunately, in some cases the asker's grasp of one (or even both) of the languages is simply insufficient to recognise a poor answer - and even with better ones on offer. It's just part of the whole system. I suspect the people who spend time researching and thinking about an ideal answer, and see it turned down in favour of a manifestly incorrect one, do indeed notice, but just reckon life is too short. Even if it were appropriate for them to express an opinion, moderators simply don't have time to check; the Asker awards points as they see fit.

However, if you suspect there is some kind of abuse of the system going on in your language pair (and you have the time and energy), calling support staff's attention to it is the way to go.

(Mini-edited for style.)

[Edited at 2015-03-19 12:14 GMT]

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wrong answers awarded Kudos points Mar 19, 2015

That happened to me some time ago: an asker had awarded the points to a wrong answer.

Let me make it clear: I was worried about the glossary, not the points.

So I contacted the pertinent moderator, explained (with rationale) my point of view, and the issue got solved.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Worried about the glossary and about the asker Mar 19, 2015

Good for you Monica. Had I been the asker, I would have appreciated someone pointing out to me I had chosen the wrong answer. The problem lately seems to be many askers not closing questions, and not awarding anyone for their trouble when they themselves do not even take the trouble to do a basic search. I would understand being misled by a word but not asking without doing a basic search. so, drawing the attention of support staff is the way forward for you if you want to cut out that abuse.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:41
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A few bullets on these issues Mar 19, 2015

Dear members, just some quick bullets:
  • The main purpose of KudoZ is to help the asker with terminology questions.
  • The askers should select the answers they consider "most helpful", not the "most correct" one.
  • Glossary entries can differ from the term in the selected answer.
  • KudoZ rule 3.7 states that commentary on askers or answerers, and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's e... See more
  • Dear members, just some quick bullets:
  • The main purpose of KudoZ is to help the asker with terminology questions.
  • The askers should select the answers they consider "most helpful", not the "most correct" one.
  • Glossary entries can differ from the term in the selected answer.
  • KudoZ rule 3.7 states that commentary on askers or answerers, and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are strictly prohibited (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user).
  • The above also includes staff and moderators. The asker decides how to close a question.
  • General rule 7 states that one profile is allowed per person. Creating a new profile to bypass restrictions or gain advantages is prohibited. (However, it is acceptable to have one profile for yourself and another profile for your registered business.)
  • If you suspect any behavious not in line with the site rules please submit a support request with all the evidence you have gathered.
    Regards,
    Enrique ▲ Collapse

•  
    Annamaria Amik
    Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
    Local time: 00:41
    Romanian to English
    + ...
    Asking via corporate profile, answering via personal profile Jan 23, 2016

This is not an answer to the original question, but I post my question here, because it's related.

Is it acceptable for someone to use their corporate (translation agency they manage) profile to ask a question, then submit an answer using their personal (translator) profile?

Most likely, this asker will accept their own answer, although in these particular cases I'm thinking about, it was researched by others and this agency-translator only used a variant of it, with m
    ... See more
    This is not an answer to the original question, but I post my question here, because it's related.

Is it acceptable for someone to use their corporate (translation agency they manage) profile to ask a question, then submit an answer using their personal (translator) profile?

Most likely, this asker will accept their own answer, although in these particular cases I'm thinking about, it was researched by others and this agency-translator only used a variant of it, with minor additions that the original answerer who researched it did post in the explanations part of the answer or in the discussion area. Of course, a good answer added to the glossary is what matters here, but isn't there a conflict of interests here?

Perhaps they are not doing it in bad faith, but KudoZ rule 3.5 prevents me from advising them that they could use the glossary entry to make any additions to the answer that was clearly helpful to them in the first place, rather than post a separate answer using another profile they control.

[Edited at 2016-01-23 11:04 GMT]
    Collapse

Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    Yes Jan 23, 2016

Sandesh Ghimire wrote:

This is certainly an important matter; the more Kudoz points you have, the higher up your name appears in the list of top translators.

Unfortunately, cheating this system would be very easy to do and I would suggest that measures be taken to prevent it.

[Edited at 2016-01-23 13:39 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
    Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
    Member (2003)
    French to Italian
    + ...
    No.., Jan 24, 2016

Annamaria Amik wrote:

And staff has tools for discovering this kind of behavior, I did not see Enrique has replied above, sorry, but I think I am right.

[Edited at 2016-01-24 13:09 GMT]

neilmac
    neilmac
    Spain
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    "Flawed" answers Jan 27, 2016

As I understand it, the askers are supposed to give points to the answers they consider most helpful. However "flawed" you may perceive their choices to be, I think it's the asker's prerogative.

For example, sometimes you just need someone to point you in the right direction, rather than giving a cut and dried "this is correct" definitive solution.

[Edited at 2016-01-27 08:35 GMT]

Christine Andersen
    Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
    Denmark
    Member (2003)
    Danish to English
    + ...
    Context, context, context... Jan 27, 2016

I am sure the situation varies from language to language. However, in my language pairs there are (relatively at least) plenty of good dictionaries and resources, especially if you are translating into English.

KudoZ questions are often asked about the kind of thing you cannot look up in dictionaries, when there is some 'creative' use of the source language, or som topical allusion, a metaphor or expression that cannot be taken literally. It may also be some technical/legal use of
    ... See more
    I am sure the situation varies from language to language. However, in my language pairs there are (relatively at least) plenty of good dictionaries and resources, especially if you are translating into English.

KudoZ questions are often asked about the kind of thing you cannot look up in dictionaries, when there is some 'creative' use of the source language, or som topical allusion, a metaphor or expression that cannot be taken literally. It may also be some technical/legal use of an otherwise ordinary word.

Just this morning my husband has muttered about the use of the Danish word korsfarer as a metaphor in the newspaper - and 'everyone' knows that the English translation for that is crusader.

Except that if I had to translate that article from the newspaper, I would probably not use the word crusader in English. It does not necessarily have the same associations in Danish.

I might even ask colleagues on KudoZ to suggest an equivalent. Crusaders are not so politically correct just now, and perhaps the word missionary might fit. Or a Kudoz answerer might come up with something completely different.
    I am not entirely happy with campaigner or propagandist, which I have found in my thesaurus.

Now I might just award points for an answer that had nothing to do with religious beliefs, as are implied in both crusader and missionary. In this case crusader and campaigner are perhaps too militant - and propagandist simply does not fit at all.

I just want a word for someone who honestly believes in a cause and works for it.

The man in my newspaper article was not in fact 'crusading' for anything to do with religion - he wanted adequate financing for the health services. So I would be delighted with a suggestion that eliminated the religious associations.

In many other contexts, the chosen answer might be 'wrong' as a translation for korsfarer. But in precisely that text, I might think it was brilliant and award 4 points, or as Neilmac says, it might have sent me in the right direction.

(I am not actually trying to translate this article, it just seemed to be a good example.)

OK, thanks for your time if you have read this far!

The point I am trying to make is that some of the apparently wrong answers ARE in fact the most helpful in a specific context, and this is one of the best features of KudoZ.
    A given translation may never fit again in any other context, and KudoZ is not intended to be an authoritative dictionary. Unless your context fits the question too, KudoZ sometimes has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

As a collection of discussions on nuance, technical or atypical use of known terms, and all sorts of other aspects of language, it is unique, and a treasure trove.

Nothing in this world is perfect.
    Sometimes you do have to dig away layers of sand and dirt to find the buried treasure, but it is there. And that is why I continue to be a points grabber...

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is awarding Kudos points?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »