Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
English to German
+ ...
Agree Mar 18, 2015

Robert Forstag wrote:

In instances where more than one translation seems to me to work equally well, I will provide multiple options within the answer field. It might be appropriate for all of these to be included (separated by slashes) in the glossary entry. The asker has first dibs on that decision, and can make that call. If he/she does not, then I (i.e., if my response is chosen) can decide.

... you are talking about one posting per answerer, right?
I don't have a problem with more than one option.

[Edited at 2015-03-18 15:57 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Bernhard Mar 19, 2015

Yes, I am referring to presenting multiple options within the answer field *as part of a single response*, separated by slashes.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I usually provide multiple options Mar 20, 2015

As the stated purpose of kudoz is to help the asker find a suitable solution to his translation difficulty, I often find it necessary to provide more than one answer. Sometimes this is necessitated by lack of sufficient context or detail in the question, sometimes many possibilities genuinely exist, and I provide as many as I think are relevant - some of these in the answer box itself, and if there are more than what could fit there, in the explanation box too.

I wouldn't worry too
... See more
As the stated purpose of kudoz is to help the asker find a suitable solution to his translation difficulty, I often find it necessary to provide more than one answer. Sometimes this is necessitated by lack of sufficient context or detail in the question, sometimes many possibilities genuinely exist, and I provide as many as I think are relevant - some of these in the answer box itself, and if there are more than what could fit there, in the explanation box too.

I wouldn't worry too much about this becoming an issue for the glossary, for even dictionaries follow this same principle for most of their entries, leaving it to the person looking up the dictionary to make the correct choice from several equivalent terms. The same principle would or should apply to the glossary too. We should trust the intelligence of the people who use the glossary to not blindly pick up everything without matching them with the context of their linguistic requirement. And if a person does just this, then he is not cut out for translation, and should not be translating in the first place.
Collapse

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:21
English to Arabic
As an asker, I always want KudoZ allow choosing more than one answer Mar 20, 2015

In Arabic the matter is different than any other language here; Arabic is a very rich language as we have many many options to choose from. So, choosing one answer never worked with Arabic. For me, I go with many answers, maybe more than two.

Thanks!
Mohamed

[Edited at 2015-03-20 12:05 GMT]

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Too many limitations Mar 20, 2015

I actually find it unfortunate that the asker is limited to choosing one response as the most helpful. On another (similar) website, the asker can "accept" multiple answers as correct and helpful.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posting multiple answers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »