Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Don't allow asker to select an answer which has not received any agrees or any comments at all
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contact the moderator Jan 6, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

In this case, there had been another answer (mine) entered first which was very similar as it expressed exactly the same idea, explained the phrase and had given additional links.

Bernhard, if I were you, I would contact the corresponding moderator and clearly explain that the other peer boldly copied your answer, which added no value, and grabbed the points. This is unfair, no question about that.

If there is no specific rule to tackle on this kind of situations, it is, in my understanding, the moderator's responsibility to provide a solution that is fair to everyone.

However, I maintain that ad hoc situations should not trigger major changes in basic rules, especially if the rules proposed are restrictive. In your case, it is not the asker who did the wrong thing; it was the other peer who simply copied you answer and unfairly benefited from it. Your case is supported by a general principle, not by specific rules.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Askers have the right to select the answers they consider most useful Jan 6, 2015

Merab Dekano wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
In this case, there had been another answer (mine) entered first which was very similar as it expressed exactly the same idea, explained the phrase and had given additional links.

Bernhard, if I were you, I would contact the corresponding moderator and clearly explain that the other peer boldly copied your answer, which added no value, and grabbed the points. This is unfair, no question about that.

If there is no specific rule to tackle on this kind of situations, it is, in my understanding, the moderator's responsibility to provide a solution that is fair to everyone.

Hi Merab,

Askers have the right to select the answer they consider most helpful.

In the case described, no action by moderators is needed, and in fact, asking for actions would not be in line with KudoZ rule 3.7.

Regards,
Enrique

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rules and their limits Jan 6, 2015

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Hi Merab,

In the case described, no action by moderators is needed, and in fact, asking for actions would not be in line with KudoZ rule 3.7.

Regards,
Enrique

I appreciate pointing out the rule. The rules help in many regards but they certainly can't guarantee that no misuse happens (as perceived by someone). Now, if lots of people think the system is being abused in a certain way, it would make sense to think about introducing another rule to prevent that abuse. I don't like to be copied and then ignored. But as I said, I can be more selective whom I help or don't participate.

[Edited at 2015-01-06 18:29 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copying is dishonest anyway Jan 6, 2015

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Hi Merab,

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you, Enrique, for pointing out the rule. However, I tend to construe it in a way that it does not prevent us from contacting moderator, as I firmly believe moderator's task is, well, moderate (which does not imply a positive outcome will be "granted"). As Bernhard rightly pointed out, copying someone is dishonest and there is no need to have a specific KudoZ rule to combat plagiarism or similar conduct.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Rules are not optional Jan 6, 2015

Merab Dekano wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Hi Merab,

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you, Enrique, for pointing out the rule. However, I tend to construe it in a way that it does not prevent us from contacting moderator, as I firmly believe moderator's task is, well, moderate (which does not imply a positive outcome will be "granted"). As Bernhard rightly pointed out, copying someone is dishonest and there is no need to have a specific KudoZ rule to combat plagiarism or similar conduct.

The role of ProZ.com moderators is clearly defined as:

Greeting and guiding
    Moderators welcome new participants to the forums and KudoZ, and help them to properly use and benefit from what is available to them at ProZ.com.

Enforcing site rules
    In conjunction with other moderators and site staff members, moderators help to maintain a constructive environment by carrying out enforcement of the site's rules in a consistent and structured manner.

Interfering with the askers' right to select the answer they find most useful, or preventing an answerer to provide a given answer, would go against the main purpose of KudoZ, i.e., helping the asker, and it would also be against site rules.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't allow asker to select an answer which has not received any agrees or any comments at all

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »