Thread poster: Tracy Huang
Tracy Huang
Tracy Huang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 18, 2010

I became a member yesterday, but I still could not use Kudoz. I wonder why. Is it becuase I am in mainland China?

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:47
Member (2008)
English to French
Yes... Jun 18, 2010

You'll need a VPN to access Kudoz from the mainland. I pay 60$ a year for Witopia, it's a little slow so forget YouTube but for everything else it's fine. As to why Kudoz is blocked, who knows!

Cheng Peng
Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
why? Jun 19, 2010

some guys from China cheated on KudoZ points and fought against each other with offensive words ………

that may explain why access to KudoZ from China is blocked ....

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
You might like to... Jun 19, 2010

Arianne Farah wrote:

...it's a little slow so forget YouTube but for everything else it's fine.

...install this : http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

Easy and effective!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Misunderstanding Jun 20, 2010

Cheng Peng wrote:

some guys from China cheated on KudoZ points and fought against each other with offensive words ………

Actually I don't think that it explains blocking access to millions of potential users - for that we have moderators on each forum.

Anyway how it could upset Chinese government is beyond my comprehension.

Stanislaw

PS: I just realized that maybe you were joking - if so I apologize - I somehow missed the joke.

Tracy Huang
Tracy Huang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your replies Jun 21, 2010

Hi,guys.Thank you for all your replies. I'm working on it. Hope I can get this problem solved.

Cheng Peng
Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
maybe it's not a joke ;) Jul 7, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Cheng Peng wrote:

Actually I don't think that it explains blocking access to millions of potential users - for that we have moderators on each forum.

Anyway how it could upset Chinese government is beyond my comprehension.

Stanislaw

PS: I just realized that maybe you were joking - if so I apologize - I somehow missed the joke.

As far as I know, it's ProZ that blocked access from China for those reasons mentioned. I wish the guy who told me so was joking ==

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
My observation Jul 7, 2010

I have been participating on KudoZ for almost 3 years, since 2007.

In late 2008, the name of a banned opposition party (in China) was asked on KudoZ, since the asker had no access to Wikepedia, therefore could not find out the name by himself; someone provided an answer with a link to this party. At the same time, quite a few Tibet-related questions appeared there, even the German text for the contest in that year was about Tibet, despite of my disapproval (I submitted a support ti
... See more
I have been participating on KudoZ for almost 3 years, since 2007.

In late 2008, the name of a banned opposition party (in China) was asked on KudoZ, since the asker had no access to Wikepedia, therefore could not find out the name by himself; someone provided an answer with a link to this party. At the same time, quite a few Tibet-related questions appeared there, even the German text for the contest in that year was about Tibet, despite of my disapproval (I submitted a support ticket to ask the organizer to change the text, but it was too late). I think these made Proz.com, especially KudoZ, not appear to be a pure academic site in the eye of the Chinese government.

Meanwhile some Proz.com activists have contacted different Chinese authorities, including Chinese translators' association, to have the ban lifted, but no authority admits to be responsible for Proz.com and KudoZ.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just out of general interest/curiosity Jul 7, 2010

Bin Tiede wrote:

At the same time, quite a few Tibet-related questions appeared there, even the German text for the contest in that year was about Tibet, despite of my disapproval (I submitted a support ticket to ask the organizer to change the text, but it was too late).

Why do you disapprove of texts relating to this subject?

Ronald van der Linden (X)
Ronald van der Linden (X)  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:47
German to Dutch
+ ...
ask proz support center Jul 7, 2010

http://www.proz.com/support/

(in case you haven't asked)

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Just being practical... Jul 7, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

At the same time, quite a few Tibet-related questions appeared there, even the German text for the contest in that year was about Tibet, despite of my disapproval (I submitted a support ticket to ask the organizer to change the text, but it was too late).

Why do you disapprove of texts relating to this subject?

As I understand, it's not so much that the poster particularly disapproves per se, their point is just "whatever you think ideologically, just for the sake of being practical and preventing Chinese people from having to go to the trouble of using a VPN to access the site, please don't put content on ProZ that might cause the Chinese government to ban it".

saralap
saralap  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
Interactive content Jul 8, 2010

In response to Neil Coffey's practicality question: I'm not sure we can solve this problem by self-censorship, or self-editing if you will.

In my experience, sites get blocked from China for two main reasons: having politically sensitive content, and having user-provided content of any kind (e.g. blogs, forums, Wikipedia, Facebook). It is not 100% in either case, and a site's fate varies over time. It is really hard to guess in advance what will cause the Chinese government to block
... See more
In response to Neil Coffey's practicality question: I'm not sure we can solve this problem by self-censorship, or self-editing if you will.

In my experience, sites get blocked from China for two main reasons: having politically sensitive content, and having user-provided content of any kind (e.g. blogs, forums, Wikipedia, Facebook). It is not 100% in either case, and a site's fate varies over time. It is really hard to guess in advance what will cause the Chinese government to block a site. For instance, we are using the word "Tibet" in this discussion, yet I am able to see it from China without a VPN.

In any case, using a VPN is becoming more and more necessary for anyone in China who has any connection with the outside world. It's not only Kudoz. So, at least as far as discussions of terminology are concerned, I would say post whatever you need to post.
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
An old discussion in the Chinese forum Jul 8, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/127553-kudoz_inaccessibility_once_more.html

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:47
German to English
How to test the great firewall Jul 9, 2010

Go to http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.china-test.html

Enter the URL of a site to see if it is blocked.

For example: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why could I not use KudoZ in China?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »