David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:28
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Jan 19, 2017

As the Chinese New Year is near (about one week from now), we will say goodbye to the Year of Monkey.

monkey king_1

Monkey King might have worked hard in the past year, but not even his shrinkable King Kong Rod (my translation) could play magic to prevent the hazardous smog to spread around China and over to the neighbouring regions.

monkey king_2

Perhaps the end of his year is the best time for homecoming -- the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits and Water Curtained Cave and spend time with his followers.

Let's look forward to the Year of Rooster, hoping that more blessings and fortune will come in the new year with a healthier nature and a more peaceful time.

rooster

[Edited at 2017-01-19 21:55 GMT]

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Local time: 19:28
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Kung Hei Fat Choy Jan 19, 2017

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year about one week ahead!
Kung Hei Fat Choy small

[Edited at 2017-01-19 22:30 GMT]

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Kung Hei Fat Choy, Lai Si Dou Loy! Jan 21, 2017

chym77 wrote: Kung Hei Fat Choy

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year about one week ahead!
Kung Hei Fat Choy small

利 是 逗 來

blessings_CNY17

or 恭喜发财, 红包拿来 !

Thanks YM for your Lunar New Year greeting!

I actually quite like the translation "Fat" here, as the delicious ingredient no longer for sale 发菜 for 发菜蚝豉 (谐音 发财好市), a fortune 发达 or in movie star Chow Yun "Fat" 周润发.

Wishing you YM and all translator friends 发财好市 in the Year of Rooster!

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
fake 发菜 Jan 22, 2017

Thank you. I heard from a TV programme that some people use seaweed to make fake 发菜. You may still have it in your lunar new year dishes if you do not mind its authenticity.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Fat Choy origin Jan 22, 2017

That's really good news! To have Fat Choy substituted by seaweed will help save the Gobi Desert and Qinghai Plateau. I am all for it, but the texture could be quite different from the real Fat Choy.

I am wondering how Cantonese people got to know Fat Choy and made it a regular delicious Chinese New Year cuisine, given Fat Choy comes from Gobi Desert and Qinghai Plateau which are too far away from Canton / Guangdong Province.
... See more
That's really good news! To have Fat Choy substituted by seaweed will help save the Gobi Desert and Qinghai Plateau. I am all for it, but the texture could be quite different from the real Fat Choy.

I am wondering how Cantonese people got to know Fat Choy and made it a regular delicious Chinese New Year cuisine, given Fat Choy comes from Gobi Desert and Qinghai Plateau which are too far away from Canton / Guangdong Province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_choy

The only clue I found in the link above is its relationship with Buddhist cuisine 斋菜.

Would the Buddhist priests introduce the ingredient to the Cantonese people as they travelled from the north to the south of China in the old days when Buddhism was popular?
Collapse

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
we almost eat anything edible... Jan 23, 2017

No idea how Fat Choy was introduced into Guangdong, but my parents have been using it in our lunar new year soup together with other ingredients such as dried oysters and pig tongues since my teenage years. The Cantonese is famous for their appetite for anything edible. I am not surprised that Fat Choy is in their dishes out of consideration for its good taste and auspicious implication.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Kitchen of China Jan 23, 2017

chym77 wrote: we almost eat anything edible...

No idea how Fat Choy was introduced into Guangdong, but my parents have been using it in our lunar new year soup together with other ingredients such as dried oysters and pig tongues since my teenage years. The Cantonese is famous for their appetite for anything edible. I am not surprised that Fat Choy is in their dishes out of consideration for its good taste and auspicious implication.

I agree totally. No wonder Guangzhou has the reputation as the "kitchen of China" (my translation for 食在广州). It's certainly more than an occidental fame.

Apparently, the nutrition level of Fat Choy is extremely high - rich in protein and calcium, as reported in the link below. It is nutritious enough to be an alternative diet for the vegetarian Buddhist priests.

"发菜是名贵山珍之一,也是一种高档的营养品。它含蛋白质极为丰富,每百克发菜含 20 克,是鸡蛋的 1.5 倍,枸杞的 4 倍,碳水化合物 56 克,钙高达 2560 毫克,铁 20 毫克,均高于猪、牛、羊肉类及蛋类。它突出特点是脂肪含量极少。其矿物质含量为鸡蛋的 6 倍,特别是碘的含量高达 0.1-0.5%,为一般食物所罕见,还含有人体所必需的铁,钙,锰,铜等十多种矿物质和人体所需的七种胺基酸,这些物质的含量都高于大米和小麦,特别是精氨酸的含量高于猴头菌5倍。" --《医学百科》

It says Fat Choy is also good for women's health. Your mum definitely knows how to look after you. Not sure about pig tongues though.

An interesting academic research paper popped up on my screen as a nice surprise when I was searching for Fat Choy. It's deep but enlightening.

"Chinese studies on the edible blue-green alga, Nostoc flagelliforme: a review" - by Kunshan Gao
http://mel.xmu.edu.cn/upload_paper/201155113320-1ddigp.pdf

[Edited at 2017-01-23 18:11 GMT]

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
It is more about good fortunes Jan 23, 2017

My favourite vegetarian food is canned beans, which are usually softer and easier to digest compared with dried beans, together with tomato sauce. I usually feel other ingredients for vegetarian dishes, such as mushrooms and tofu, are not enough to support me through a hard day at work.

I just realized my mom used pig spleens instead of tongues in her soup. I believe she picked Fat Choy and pig spleens because of their auspicious implications, rather than good nutrition. Pig spleen
... See more
My favourite vegetarian food is canned beans, which are usually softer and easier to digest compared with dried beans, together with tomato sauce. I usually feel other ingredients for vegetarian dishes, such as mushrooms and tofu, are not enough to support me through a hard day at work.

I just realized my mom used pig spleens instead of tongues in her soup. I believe she picked Fat Choy and pig spleens because of their auspicious implications, rather than good nutrition. Pig spleens are 猪横脷, which implies 横财就手.
Collapse

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
bean fans Jan 26, 2017

chym77 wrote:

I just realized my mom used pig spleens instead of tongues in her soup. I believe she picked Fat Choy and pig spleens because of their auspicious implications, rather than good nutrition. Pig spleens are 猪横脷, which implies 横财就手.

I'm a fan of Heinz beans! It's my fav English fast food when I am lazy to cook, albeit the famous English breakfast which, if minus the fatty Yorkshire sausages and potato chips, is quite tasty.

I guess it's the sugar in the tomato sauce of the canned beans which sustains you through a hard-day's work. Otherwise pure beans though soft can be as plain as tofu and mushrooms and won't give you enough energy. Well, I could feel hungry very quickly after a vege meal so I think it's healthy but non-sustainable.

Btw, should 猪横脷 be pig pancreas?

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
controversial term Jan 26, 2017

This term is quite controversial according to the articles I found online. Some people said 猪横脷 is spleen, but others said it is pancreas.

1. 猪横脷是猪的脾脏,属于免疫器官。是长在腹部之中,与肠道横着连在一起的,象是一长舌,广东话叫做�
... See more
This term is quite controversial according to the articles I found online. Some people said 猪横脷 is spleen, but others said it is pancreas.

1. 猪横脷是猪的脾脏,属于免疫器官。是长在腹部之中,与肠道横着连在一起的,象是一长舌,广东话叫做“猪横脷”……
Link: http://wenku.baidu.com/link?url=ZfNJTYDf5VSqA8tkl-sqbw_btlTwb4E5_QcvCX9U2FiNMWwossFqmPFoyJDZPpArU3wL5ukojILO0W-BgLaIPQu6rGGuCC71VOBki5BhX7_

2. 豬橫脷因為外形像豬舌,經常被誤會。其實豬橫脷是豬胰臟……
Link: http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realtime/magazine/20160618/55242123

3. 猪横脷是猪的脾脏,窄而长,色深红,其横切面呈三角形,壁面扁平,脏面形成一长嵴,嵴上有脾门并附有一些结缔组织和脂肪。猪脾位于猪胃的左侧,背侧靠肾,腹侧靠肝。
Link: http://baike.baidu.com/view/3413357.htm

4. 贵报7月2日A6版有一篇文章介绍邓教授的“养生经”,说“猪横脷”煲淮山能预防糖尿病时,把“猪横脷”说成是猪胰脏。
出于职业的敏感,我上网-查,原来很多人都弄错了,都把“猪横脷”说成是猪胰脏。广州人说的“猪横脷”是猪的脾脏,而不是胰脏!
Link: http://www.yz88.cn/news/53318.shtml

5.猪横利其实就是猪的胰脏,猪横利属于猪的免疫器官。
Link: http://www.cndzys.com/yinshi/changshi/206737.html
Collapse

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lucky Foods Jan 27, 2017

http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/chinese-new-year-food.htm

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Lunar New Year Eve! Jan 27, 2017

chym77 wrote: controversial term

It's interesting to read your links. I've never heard that 猪横脷 is pig spleen. My understanding is always pancreas. Interestingly, most Chinese traditional medicine sites refer 猪横脷 as pig pancreas such as those listed below, while non-medicine-related sites say it is spleen.

http://www.wiki8.com/zhuyizi_111259/

http://www.39kf.com/healthy/preserve/yssl/other/2004-06-01-17265.shtml

Anyway, since it's the Lunar New Year's Eve, we better talk about things that are not so "bloody" like animal organs.

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
hehe... Jan 27, 2017

A butcher can best answer this question…

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
年三十年宵花市 I Jan 27, 2017

flowerline

flowerpot
flowerbutterflies

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
年三十年宵花市 II Jan 27, 2017

flowerfaces

flowerarches

[Edited at 2017-01-27 22:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Goodbye Monkey, Welcome Rooster - Chinese New Year

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »