Which other CATs can create merged External Review files like MemoQ?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:15
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2016

Hi all,

MemoQ has a nice feature where you can create one consolidated External Review file consisting of all source files.
The difference from using Trados Glue + Studio is that the names of the individual source files are still shown in the consolidated file.
Sometimes this is crucial, when a job consists of many small files and the reviewer need the names for orientation.

Now I'm curious if any other CAT tool has this functionality? Maybe web based CATs t
... See more
Hi all,

MemoQ has a nice feature where you can create one consolidated External Review file consisting of all source files.
The difference from using Trados Glue + Studio is that the names of the individual source files are still shown in the consolidated file.
Sometimes this is crucial, when a job consists of many small files and the reviewer need the names for orientation.

Now I'm curious if any other CAT tool has this functionality? Maybe web based CATs too, if you can export/import Word Tables spanning all the source files?
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
No file names Dec 2, 2016

Just checked, CafeTran doesn't show the file names.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 14.50.01

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
English to Spanish
Swordfish can Dec 2, 2016

Swordfish creates a unified XLIFF file from all documents in a project.

Original file names are visible in the generated XLIFF. You can review it in any CAT tool that supports XLIFF.

Regards,
Rodolfo

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Trados Studio,DVX/DVX2/DVX3 can for sure Dec 2, 2016

Trados Studio can do it without special plugins by chosing 'Export as bilingual review' with subsequent re-import. There is also a OpenExchange plugin (for free) to convert sdlxliff files to MS-Office which exports to a table with all segments to be reviewed/edited.
In Déjà Vu there is also a similar export tool with subsequent re-import.

Mike

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Déjà Vu X Dec 2, 2016

Possibly Déjà Vu X was the first CAT tool which implemented this feature long ago.

Image from http://www.translationtribulations.com/2010/01/atrils-deja-vu-as-starting-point-of.html

DVX Exported External JVEG files

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mike and @Selcuk Dec 2, 2016

MikeTrans wrote:
Trados Studio can do it without special plugins by chosing 'Export as bilingual review' with subsequent re-import.

Yes, but Trados can't take multiple files in a single project and produce a *single* output external review file. You always get one external review file for each source text file.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Possibly Déjà Vu X was the first CAT tool which implemented this feature long ago.

Your screenshot does not show the filename, however. Are you sure Déjà Vu X can produce a single external review file from multiple source text files, and in such a way that the file names are also displayed?

[Edited at 2016-12-02 23:16 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFP3 and OmegaT Dec 2, 2016

Jan Sundström wrote:
... the names of the individual source files are still shown in the consolidated file.

OmegaT doesn't have an external review feature yet, but you can export the current source files as two-column HTML tables, and you can have the file names included. The HTML files can be opened in MS Word. However, there's no automated way of importing the edited files -- you have to convert the tables to TMX files, and then reload your project with those TMX files in the /tm/enforce/ subfolder. And as you can imagine, there is a one-to-many problem.

WFP3 can do a bilingual review export and import, but it can't merge files. However, I do this often, using a pair of little AutoIt scripts that merge multiple TXML files into a single TXML file which WFP3 is happy with. Your post made me wonder if I could easily add the file names as dummy segments, and yes, I was able to do it (updated script pair here). So what I do is I merge the TXML files into a single TXML file, then use the external review feature, and afterwards I import it again, and then I optionally edit the large TXML file in WFP3, and then I split the TXML file into individual TXML files again.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
new screenshot Dec 3, 2016

Hi Samuel,

Files names and even file paths are displayed in DVX External View RTF file.

I always create EV files from projects with many source files (even with different extensions).

DVX ev

options

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
You can use ANY cat tool and export for review, if... Dec 3, 2016

...if you use the Heartsome TMX Editor 8.0:

https://github.com/heartsome/tmxeditor8

With this you can export your tmx file (your TM) to a MS-Word/MS-Excel document or to a simple tab-separated Unicode UTF-8 text file. This is a good solution if you work with Omega-T or any CAT that doesn't have an export for review possibility.
Although the TMX editor has good filt
... See more
...if you use the Heartsome TMX Editor 8.0:

With this you can export your tmx file (your TM) to a MS-Word/MS-Excel document or to a simple tab-separated Unicode UTF-8 text file. This is a good solution if you work with Omega-T or any CAT that doesn't have an export for review possibility.
Although the TMX editor has good filtering features, it cannot recognize the segment status I think, so I don't think you can do things like exporting only fuzzy match segments etc. For such conditional exports, the features in DVX3 / Trados are better (as seen in Selcuk's screenshots).

[EDIT]
Actually you CAN filter by segment status in Heartsome TMX editor, it's in the 'Custom Attributes' called ConfirmationLevel (at least when exporting from Trados, so this depends on the CAT and saving this info in the tmx). You can filter on this attribute before exporting. Alas, no document names are listed automatically unless you have previously created a custom attribute for it in your CAT tool.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-03 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MikeTrans Dec 3, 2016

MikeTrans wrote:
With this you can export your tmx file (your TM) to a MS-Word/MS-Excel document or to a simple tab-separated Unicode UTF-8 text file.

Yes, but this is not "true" external review, because if you have multiple identical segments in the file that must have unique translations, then you can't make this process let them have unique translations.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, Dec 3, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:
With this you can export your tmx file (your TM) to a MS-Word/MS-Excel document or to a simple tab-separated Unicode UTF-8 text file.

Yes, but this is not "true" external review, because if you have multiple identical segments in the file that must have unique translations, then you can't make this process let them have unique translations.

Yes, I agree, my solution proposed is more complicated, but at least you are able to get the CAT content out to a doc if for some reasons you need to do that. Surely this export from the TMX editor is too generic.

Greetings,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which other CATs can create merged External Review files like MemoQ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »