Free CAT-Tools for Collaborative Translation
Thread poster: Ella Luz
Ella Luz
Ella Luz
Germany
Nov 15, 2016

Dear all,
Can you recommend a CAT tool that is suited for collaborative translation work (TMs shared between 4-5 people) and is either free of charge or relatively cheap?
Preferably, it should be a cloud-based system but a server/client solution, i.e. software installation, with central TM storage and common access would also be fine.
So far, I have only found MateCat. It is a good tool but it lacks such functions as merging segments, accessing and editing TMs and glossaries wi
... See more
Dear all,
Can you recommend a CAT tool that is suited for collaborative translation work (TMs shared between 4-5 people) and is either free of charge or relatively cheap?
Preferably, it should be a cloud-based system but a server/client solution, i.e. software installation, with central TM storage and common access would also be fine.
So far, I have only found MateCat. It is a good tool but it lacks such functions as merging segments, accessing and editing TMs and glossaries within the system, without exporting them, and alignment.
I am looking forward to your replies.
Thank you very much in advance!
Helen
Collapse

Pascal Pierre Kameim
Pascal Pierre Kameim  Identity Verified
Guinea
Local time: 06:52
English to French
+ ...
Here are my recommendations Nov 15, 2016

Dear Sir,
As a freelance translator,editor and revisor using SDL, i recommende you to try it. I really find it very useful. But before you start using it,you fisrt morst creat an account
Thanks again and hope to satisfy your needs

Octavio Armendariz
Octavio Armendariz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:52
French to English
+ ...
Did you consider Memsource? Nov 15, 2016

It has a cloud, web and desktop solution. The Translator +1 Edition is for a single translator + a group of translators. The fee is monthly. Hope that helps and that I am not duplicating your research.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:52
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT has team projects with an unlimited number of translators Nov 15, 2016

Helen_Of_Troy wrote:

OmegaT is free.

OmegaT is "client/server", since you have to install the application on each client, but with a very specific architecture.
It works with either Subversion or Git as the server.

http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-latest/en/appendix.TeamProjects.html

http://www.slideshare.net/qabiria/omegat-team-project-feature-a-case-study

Didier

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free usually means limited features Nov 15, 2016

There was a time when I too was looking for free software to do paid professional work. I don't feel the same inclination anymore.

Software developers deserve payment for their work as much as we translators do.

euroglot

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:52
English to French
+ ...
Do not confuse free/libre software with freeware Nov 16, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:
There was a time when I too was looking for free software to do paid professional work. I don't feel the same inclination anymore.

Software developers deserve payment for their work as much as we translators do.

The main point of free software is not that you do not pay for it:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

For instance, the majority of web servers are running on Linux:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Public_servers_on_the_Internet
This is also the case for proz.com:
https://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=proz.com&x=12&y=4

Didier

Ella Luz
Ella Luz
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 16, 2016

Dear Octavio, Didier and Mario,
Thank you for your replies!
We've had a look at both Memsource and OmegaT and are in favor of Memsource at the moment.
Kind regards,
Helen

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Anything special? Nov 16, 2016

Helen, if it's no big top secret, then could you explain why you'd prefer a cloud-based (online) trial (limited) tool with an obligate ID to a cloud-supporting (+offline) free tool?

A colleague of mine asked me to teach her a little CATing, so we could work together for awhile, and we tried several options, including cloud-based WordFast Anywhere (she says it seems rather bulky), stand-alone OmegaT (too tagged and awkward segmentation for her), last free MS Word add-on Wordfast 3.3
... See more
Helen, if it's no big top secret, then could you explain why you'd prefer a cloud-based (online) trial (limited) tool with an obligate ID to a cloud-supporting (+offline) free tool?

A colleague of mine asked me to teach her a little CATing, so we could work together for awhile, and we tried several options, including cloud-based WordFast Anywhere (she says it seems rather bulky), stand-alone OmegaT (too tagged and awkward segmentation for her), last free MS Word add-on Wordfast 3.35x (via sharing) and a few others she didn't like, they seemed too techy, or just required personal info (detailed registration)--MemSource.

So, I wonder about your priorities, if any)
Collapse

Ella Luz
Ella Luz
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT vs. Memsource Nov 22, 2016

Dear DZiW and Pascal,
Thank you for your contributions and please excuse my late reply – I am not every day in the office.
DZiW,
Why is an online tool a trial/limited tool?
Why is disclosing your ID an issue? Are you referring to confidential documents being stored on distant/external servers?
Thank you!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
pro-con Nov 22, 2016

Helen, that's ok for we all are busy and it's no reproach or something, just an inquiry to learn if I miss a thing or two.

Yes, my colleague and I (as most other users, perhaps) are rather reluctant to share personal and sensitive data; well, she even created a few temporary emails to mitigate possible issues after registration, yet she strongly-violently objected to sharing real names with the third parties.

So, is there any specific good reason to prefer that very opt
... See more
Helen, that's ok for we all are busy and it's no reproach or something, just an inquiry to learn if I miss a thing or two.

Yes, my colleague and I (as most other users, perhaps) are rather reluctant to share personal and sensitive data; well, she even created a few temporary emails to mitigate possible issues after registration, yet she strongly-violently objected to sharing real names with the third parties.

So, is there any specific good reason to prefer that very opt, not many others?
I'd like to learn or even to reconsider it.

Cheers
Collapse

Ella Luz
Ella Luz
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
CAT-Tools: Possibilites, limitations etc. (Reply to DZiW) Nov 23, 2016

Hi DZiW!
We translate non-confidential documents, thus we don’t have to worry about such issues much. Our main concern is finding a tool that supports or even is designed for collaboration.
Helen

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate of http://www.proz.com/topic/309116

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free CAT-Tools for Collaborative Translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »