Where to find/download Translation Memories/Glossaries?
Thread poster: Imran Haq
Imran Haq
Imran Haq
Spain
Local time: 23:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2016

Greetings all,

I just wanted to know, I have MemoQ and Trados, but don't know where to begin in terms of getting the most out of them.

Could you please guide me? Where can I obtain glossaries and translation memories so that I may use them in my work?

Kindest Regards
Imran

himanshu dhami

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:50
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Accumulate your own Nov 4, 2016

Mostly you accumulate glossaries and TMs from your own work. They tend to be very specific to each client.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Treat with extreme caution Nov 4, 2016

You can find some useful bilingual and multilingual glossaries online and some don't need too much work to get them into a usable format. There are one or two enormous ones that may not be free - I'm sure someone can point you in their direction. But most of the ones I've looked at are a mix of good and dubious terms. Good for referencing in extremis just in case they're of some use, but I wouldn't want the rubbish ones to be suggested all the time.

I know the same applies to TMs, a
... See more
You can find some useful bilingual and multilingual glossaries online and some don't need too much work to get them into a usable format. There are one or two enormous ones that may not be free - I'm sure someone can point you in their direction. But most of the ones I've looked at are a mix of good and dubious terms. Good for referencing in extremis just in case they're of some use, but I wouldn't want the rubbish ones to be suggested all the time.

I know the same applies to TMs, although I personally have absolutely no experience of using others' TMs. You'll find you're getting fuzzy matches for just about every segment, but most of them will waste your time, not save it. Particularly if they're general TMs rather than subject-specific. In the worst (but perfectly possible) case, a fair proportion of the units could actually be raw MT!
Collapse

Imran Haq
Imran Haq
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deeper cogitation required Nov 5, 2016

Thank you for your quick responses!

I have taken heed to your collective advice, I guess we must learn to walk before we run

All the best
Imran

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Get someone to help if necessary - use the Align feature Nov 8, 2016

Aligning is using a source text and a translation to create a Translation Memory. It may be useful, but it may not.

It is one of the slightly more advanced features of CATs, but if you already have some reliable and relevant texts and translations, you can convert these into TMs.
The system reduces the texts to segments and matches the ones in the source with the ones in the target. If you are translating similar texts later, they may be useful, at least in what is call
... See more
Aligning is using a source text and a translation to create a Translation Memory. It may be useful, but it may not.

It is one of the slightly more advanced features of CATs, but if you already have some reliable and relevant texts and translations, you can convert these into TMs.
The system reduces the texts to segments and matches the ones in the source with the ones in the target. If you are translating similar texts later, they may be useful, at least in what is called the Concordance.

(Highlight a word or phrase in the source and press F3, and you will see any earlier occurrences of the same word or phrase in context. This can be very useful when it does not turn up in matches, because you can see how it was translated earlier.)

Alignments need to be checked manually, so they take time, and you may not reap a lot of benefit. You have to select the documents very carefully, and be sure they are VERY similar to the ones you will be working on. Otherwise you might just as well start translating and your Translation Memory will build up as you go.

One thing is important: Collect them all in a central memory, or a system of central memories for each subject area. Add these to your projects when you set them up, and click the setting to allow them to be updated. You can add your own 'collection' memories to clients' packages too.
At the end of each project or session, when you have proofread your text and corrected the errors, click on Batch Tasks and Update Main Translation Memories.
Otherwise your work will still be fragmented, only stored in the separate projects, and you will not accumulate anything.

Glossaries in Excel format can easily be converted for Multiterm, to use with Trados. There is an App called Glossary Converter in the SDL App Store, and it works like a charm.
So if you have any good glossaries, you can start with them.
Collapse

MOHAMMED CHAHID

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find/download Translation Memories/Glossaries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »