Thread poster: nhceviri
nhceviri
nhceviri
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 5, 2017

Hello everyone,

Is there any way to recover a project deleted accidentally in Across? Thank you in advance.

[Değişiklik saati 2017-03-05 18:45 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:58
German to Turkish
+ ...
Never experienced this problem in Across. Mar 6, 2017

Was it an online/server-based project? In that case, you possibly did not have the admin authorization to delete such a project, so all you need is to retrieve it again. I don't know though if you can rescue any translated content.

If your project was a local one, I believe that you have the find the path for the local projects and reload the project as we do in Studio or memoQ.

The following threads may give an idea about back-up and file paths in Across.

... See more
Was it an online/server-based project? In that case, you possibly did not have the admin authorization to delete such a project, so all you need is to retrieve it again. I don't know though if you can rescue any translated content.

If your project was a local one, I believe that you have the find the path for the local projects and reload the project as we do in Studio or memoQ.

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/127589-backup_project_files_in_across.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/110560-file_locations.html
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 06:58
Stored TM is still there, but project is not Mar 14, 2017

Depends on what type of client you are using and what do you mean under "deleted".
Did you retrieve task from Server as Offline user and deleted it? If so, it is possible to download it again.
Or did you create a project on your local system? In this case, it is not possible to restore project, unless you've created a backup of project manually ("export to file" in the context menu of the project).
However, if any TM was stored during execution of this project, it is still kept
... See more
Depends on what type of client you are using and what do you mean under "deleted".
Did you retrieve task from Server as Offline user and deleted it? If so, it is possible to download it again.
Or did you create a project on your local system? In this case, it is not possible to restore project, unless you've created a backup of project manually ("export to file" in the context menu of the project).
However, if any TM was stored during execution of this project, it is still kept in the system, and you will be able to use it, if you create a new project and add same documents again.
Collapse

nhceviri
nhceviri
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure whether this suggested solution addresses my problem May 8, 2017

Elif Baykara wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/127589-backup_project_files_in_across.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/110560-file_locations.html

Thank you so much for your trying to help me.

Yes, my project was a local one, I mean I work standalone. However, I am not sure whether your suggested solution including the information found in the links addresses my problem or maybe I do not understand how to apply the information there to recover my project. But still thank you so much.

nhceviri
nhceviri
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Used this method and worked but resulted in another question May 8, 2017

AAV wrote:

However, if any TM was stored during execution of this project, it is still kept in the system, and you will be able to use it, if you create a new project and add same documents again.

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

In Across, I work standalone, process my own projects working on Word documents in my computer. So I think it means I created the project on my local system but I did not create a backup. However, I store all my translation works while finishing the tasks . And I realized my translated sentences from this deleted project are still there because I created the project again and my translated sentences appeared as crossTank suggestions as you said.

But actually when I saw that my translated sentences are still there although the project is deleted, this put a question mark, maybe a strange one, in my mind about how Translation Memory/ crossTank function works. I mean I know that no one, even Across, can view/edit/ use/ send/ collect my translation works except me because I work standalone. But when I store my translation works in Across, does it enable for someone, for example any Across user, to view/use my translated works through crossTank or in any way?

Thank you so much for your reply in advance.

AAV
AAV
Local time: 06:58
Your TM is only yours. May 10, 2017

Noone can view or use your TM, which you've created while working in standalone mode (unless you export them on purpose, e.g. into TMX).
TM is not stored somewhere "at Across", it is stored on your computer only.

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:58
English to Czech
+ ...
Deleted projects stay stored on your machine in CrossTank Apr 23, 2022

If you have stored all your segments to CrossTank (by pressing Alt+R when translating), they will still be stored locally in your CrossTank (translation memory for Across).
You can export everything from your CrossTank, create your project again, and import the CrossTank segments back. Then you can pre-translate your Across project and voilá, here si your project again!
For the entire export of CrossTank, see this video please:
... See more
If you have stored all your segments to CrossTank (by pressing Alt+R when translating), they will still be stored locally in your CrossTank (translation memory for Across).
You can export everything from your CrossTank, create your project again, and import the CrossTank segments back. Then you can pre-translate your Across project and voilá, here si your project again!
For the entire export of CrossTank, see this video please:
https://youtu.be/vv45pT3xJXg
Collapse

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:58
English to Czech
+ ...
How Across CrossTank works Apr 24, 2022

[quote]nhceviri wrote:

AAV wrote:

But actually when I saw that my translated sentences are still there although the project is deleted, this put a question mark, maybe a strange one, in my mind about how Translation Memory/ crossTank function works. I mean I know that no one, even Across, can view/edit/ use/ send/ collect my translation works except me because I work standalone. But when I store my translation works in Across, does it enable for someone, for example any Across user, to view/use my translated works through crossTank or in any way?

After having spent countless hours with Across analysis, I can say with a high degree of confidence:
All Across translations are stored in a Microsoft SQL Server, in a local database. There are 3 databases for Across: across_core, across_ctank and across_cterm. All CrossTank is stored in across_ctank, in the dbo.Sentences database table namely - there are ALL sentences you have ever put into CrossTank with a reference ID. This ID is then referenced in the dbo.Translations table, where you are able to put source segment with the target segment together using the IDSrcSent and IDTrgSent columns.
The dbo.Sentences also contains the PrimaryLangID, which allows you to map a given sentence to a given language.
After you delete a project, these sentences all stay in the database, they do not get deleted. With the right tool, such as Microsoft Visual Studio or Bohemicus you can easily mine them out of the Across database.
But as for any usual Across user: I think they cannot get access to these old translations because they are also somehow tied to a given project (unfortunately I was not able to find any db column that would suggest how), so translations do not appear in their view while translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to recover a deleted project in Across

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »