Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 30, 2016

Hi

I am new using Across. I was assigned a review task - never expected to turn out to require so much input from the translator side, to do a simple review using this tool, but ok, I've managed to finish (in a lot more time than even expected since essential actions, like being able to skip 100% reviewed before are not automated (!))

But my real problem is with the process of uploading/delivering my task. I keep on getting the following message:

Yo
... See more
Hi

I am new using Across. I was assigned a review task - never expected to turn out to require so much input from the translator side, to do a simple review using this tool, but ok, I've managed to finish (in a lot more time than even expected since essential actions, like being able to skip 100% reviewed before are not automated (!))

But my real problem is with the process of uploading/delivering my task. I keep on getting the following message:

Your Across Server cannot be reached at the IP address [ommited]. Please check your network connection.
And the whole process stays a while in the 'waiting for processed result'. Then the prompt above appears before.

Client confirms they did not receive the task. I have no idea what could be wrong with my network connection, since it works just fine for everything else, including logging in and retrieving the task to be performed in the first place.

Any guess on how to solve this is much appreciated.
Collapse

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Try to deliver a *.cru file Aug 30, 2016

Dear Soraya,

if you are unable to reach the customer server, you might try to deliver a cru file instead.
Since my Across GUI is in German, I will indicate the relevant menus in German.
1. Please go to Datei - Aufgaben abliefern.
2. Select "Aufgabe(n) in CRU-Datei exportieren (crossWAN classic)" and click on "Durchsuchen".
3. Choose the folder where you wish to save the cru file and select a name.
4. Click on "Weiter" and select the project to be in
... See more
Dear Soraya,

if you are unable to reach the customer server, you might try to deliver a cru file instead.
Since my Across GUI is in German, I will indicate the relevant menus in German.
1. Please go to Datei - Aufgaben abliefern.
2. Select "Aufgabe(n) in CRU-Datei exportieren (crossWAN classic)" and click on "Durchsuchen".
3. Choose the folder where you wish to save the cru file and select a name.
4. Click on "Weiter" and select the project to be integrated in the cru file.
5. Click on "Weiter" and select the relevant file(s).
6. Click on "Weiter" and decide whether you want to upload any data from crossTerm and/or crossTank (this may depend on your customer's settings).
7. Click on "Weiter" and finally on "Abschluss".

The cru file may be very large, therefore it might be necessary to deliver it via ftp server/dropbox or something similar.

I hope this solves your problem.

Kind regards,
Martina

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-30 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lost in usability Aug 30, 2016

Hi Martina,

thank you so much. By now, not to mention the double time to review, I have lost about 1 hour just trying to figure out.
I have somehow reached this screen via main menu, but then...
when I chose the option "create CRU file', and I have a folder, when I click next, it says: "please select file".
I wish I could send you a screenshot, cause it makes no sense.

If I am about to create a cRU file, why I have to 'select a file'?? I assume bad
... See more
Hi Martina,

thank you so much. By now, not to mention the double time to review, I have lost about 1 hour just trying to figure out.
I have somehow reached this screen via main menu, but then...
when I chose the option "create CRU file', and I have a folder, when I click next, it says: "please select file".
I wish I could send you a screenshot, cause it makes no sense.

If I am about to create a cRU file, why I have to 'select a file'?? I assume bad translation of the tool? that would be hilarious. I am now starting to guess that I have to write down the path? I am clueless...

Waait a minute: by that it means I should create a file name? and then select it? so it is not about chosing a folder where will be saved?
god...

ok. and now I have done so, and it comes "please select the tasks'. And my task list is empty!

But I can see the finished project appearing on my main dashboard.

I wish I could give up.
Collapse

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
cru file is like a container Aug 30, 2016

Hi Soraya,

I know that one can get lost in that amount of windows. I always assume (do not know whether this is true) that the cru file you create in step 3 is like a container which will then hold the task(s) and the file(s) you want to send to the customer.

Unfortunately, I do not know why your task list is empty (I suppose you did not just close the task but did select "Aufgabe abschließen", right?) ...

You may try to contact Across support using their
... See more
Hi Soraya,

I know that one can get lost in that amount of windows. I always assume (do not know whether this is true) that the cru file you create in step 3 is like a container which will then hold the task(s) and the file(s) you want to send to the customer.

Unfortunately, I do not know why your task list is empty (I suppose you did not just close the task but did select "Aufgabe abschließen", right?) ...

You may try to contact Across support using their ticket system http://www.my-across.net/support/
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 30, 2016

hi Martina,

indeed, by 'selecting a file' it means I should name a file and select the folder. I tried like this and it works. The problem with the empty list remains, but I have then returned to the first option 'upload task' and this time it worked!
I will not find out, but I guess you are also right on this, because i have finished the task while trying to upload the first time and that could be the reason. Oh my.. I dare to say the English interface needs some usability te
... See more
hi Martina,

indeed, by 'selecting a file' it means I should name a file and select the folder. I tried like this and it works. The problem with the empty list remains, but I have then returned to the first option 'upload task' and this time it worked!
I will not find out, but I guess you are also right on this, because i have finished the task while trying to upload the first time and that could be the reason. Oh my.. I dare to say the English interface needs some usability tests, it misleads a little bit, specially if you are aPC user used to the usual default workflow of Windows.

Thank you very much for your support!
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:19
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Did you mark your task as finished? Aug 31, 2016

In Across you also need to mark the file you are working on as finished. Only then will it appear in your task list. If you are reviewing a file, try right-clicking on the editor window and selecting mark all translations as reviewed. After that you have to mark your file as finished. At this stage, if some QA steps need to be completed, Across will show a page where the errors will be listed. You have to resolve these errors by going back to the file again. Once there are no errors in the file,... See more
In Across you also need to mark the file you are working on as finished. Only then will it appear in your task list. If you are reviewing a file, try right-clicking on the editor window and selecting mark all translations as reviewed. After that you have to mark your file as finished. At this stage, if some QA steps need to be completed, Across will show a page where the errors will be listed. You have to resolve these errors by going back to the file again. Once there are no errors in the file, you can select to deliver the translation. You will be shown two options - upload to server, or create a cru package. If you choose to upload, you only have to wait till the file gets uploaded and disappears from your task list. If you choose to create a cru package, select a location where you want it, and after it has been created there, just mail it to your client. They will be able to upload it manually to their server.Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 31, 2016

Hi Balasubramaniam

yes, my task was marked as finished and that is why ive found out the 'delivering' action only works now from main dashboard, not from inside the task anymore. In any case, the whole issue to me lies in a poor translation/usability that lead to misunderstanding at first what one is supposed to do. Once you 'get used' (but usually, software adapts to you not the other way around), then it looks obvious. Nevertheless, the problem with connecting to server to be abl
... See more
Hi Balasubramaniam

yes, my task was marked as finished and that is why ive found out the 'delivering' action only works now from main dashboard, not from inside the task anymore. In any case, the whole issue to me lies in a poor translation/usability that lead to misunderstanding at first what one is supposed to do. Once you 'get used' (but usually, software adapts to you not the other way around), then it looks obvious. Nevertheless, the problem with connecting to server to be able to delivery seems to be not on my side.

Best

Soraya
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delivery Issues

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »