Across Translator Basic edition v6.3: Text not shown in target editor
Thread poster: across user (X)
across user (X)
across user (X)
Germany
Local time: 13:20
Aug 2, 2016

Hello,

I´m new to Across and I have a problem I can´t fix on my own (despite working through the Across manuals, guides, the Across online help and searching on Google). I think it has something to do with some settings in Across, but I´m not sure.

I use Across Translator Basic Edition v6.3 and I have a simple word file (no special formatting, just plain text) that I translated.

I created a project with the workflow translation, proof reading and 2nd p
... See more
Hello,

I´m new to Across and I have a problem I can´t fix on my own (despite working through the Across manuals, guides, the Across online help and searching on Google). I think it has something to do with some settings in Across, but I´m not sure.

I use Across Translator Basic Edition v6.3 and I have a simple word file (no special formatting, just plain text) that I translated.

I created a project with the workflow translation, proof reading and 2nd proof reading. I already finished the translation and everything worked fine. I finished the task „translation“ in Across and then started the 1st proof reading. So far, so good.

Then I discovered a mistake in the translation which I wanted to correct.

And here is my problem: Normally, when you click on a segment, it turns blue and you can work on the target text in the Target Editor. But in my case, no text is shown in the Target Edito (no matter on which segment I click) even though the segment turns blue. The Target Editor is just blank.

I tried double-clicking on the segment, double-clicking in the Target Editor, changing the view mode but it didn´t help.

At some point I did someting (I really couldn´t figure out what, I´m sorry) so that the text was actually displayed in the Target Editor, but I was unable to edit it, no matter for which segment (the segment status for all segments was on „translated“, I think, so normally I should´ve been able to edit the text).

But then I did someting again (again, really sorry) and it was gone again. And I couldn´t figure out how I can display (and edit!!) it again.

Like I said, I suspect it has something to do with some settings in Across or it something really simple, but I´ve been trying and searching for hours and I couldn´find anything.

Could anybody help me solving this problem?

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Lieselotte Kleinhans
Lieselotte Kleinhans  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
See Across Online-Help Aug 3, 2016

Hello across user,

maybe this will help:
Quote: "In the Correction Mode, you can only change the paragraph states. In order to edit the paragraphs, you need to use the Edit or Combi Mode."
Source: http://www.across.net/online-help/across/acrossHaupt186.htm

Best regards,
Lieselotte

across user (X)
across user (X)
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Changing to Combi/ Edit mode doesn´t work either Aug 3, 2016

Hello Lieselotte,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried what you suggested and it didn´t work. The Target Editor is still empty even though the segment I want to edit is marked in blue.

Could it maybe have something to do with the pre-translation? I have a few entries in the TM. When I move the mouse over the segment status it says "proofread (pre-translated)".

Thanks!

across user (X)
across user (X)
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! (Across Translator Basic edition v6.3: Text not shown in target editor) Aug 11, 2016

This is just to inform you that the problem has been solved now.

I simply contacted the Across support. They answered really quick and solved the problem:

"it seems the Target Editor window was pulled down too much and therefore disappeared. In order to restore the toolbars, please perform a right-click on the grey panel next to "File View Tools Help" on top and select "restore toolbars".

In a proofreading task, no corrections can be made, only comments
... See more
This is just to inform you that the problem has been solved now.

I simply contacted the Across support. They answered really quick and solved the problem:

"it seems the Target Editor window was pulled down too much and therefore disappeared. In order to restore the toolbars, please perform a right-click on the grey panel next to "File View Tools Help" on top and select "restore toolbars".

In a proofreading task, no corrections can be made, only comments etc. Corrections can only be made in a correction task."

So thanks for you help and thanks to Across!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across Translator Basic edition v6.3: Text not shown in target editor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »