Creating a project (TM, locking segments etc.) - how does it work?
Thread poster: Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:45
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 8, 2016

Hello everybody,
I was just curious how do the locked segments work - how they're created, by whom, and how does the TM (sorry, I won't use that ridiculous Across jargon) work in terms of editing the segments in the fuzzy window.
The thing is, I'm regularly getting projects with lots of locked segments with lots of rubbish in them. The PMs keep telling me they can't unlock them (meaning they were locked up by the client...?).
But I noticed I can edit the relevant segments in t
... See more
Hello everybody,
I was just curious how do the locked segments work - how they're created, by whom, and how does the TM (sorry, I won't use that ridiculous Across jargon) work in terms of editing the segments in the fuzzy window.
The thing is, I'm regularly getting projects with lots of locked segments with lots of rubbish in them. The PMs keep telling me they can't unlock them (meaning they were locked up by the client...?).
But I noticed I can edit the relevant segments in the TM. This of course doesn't change the content of the locked segment, so I'm confused as to what it actually does. I've also noticed that after I corrected some segments (which means the old translations were overwritten by the new in the TM of the given project), in the later projects the old translations were again pulled from the TM and locked (in the fuzzy window I can then see both, old and newer (corrected) version of a given translation).
So can anybody tell me what does editing of a segment in TM do - not just in a given project but in relation to all the projects created later? And if there're 2 translations of a given segment (in a project's TM) how it's determined which one will be pulled when a project is being created?
I understand there's no "central" TM in Across (say, for a specific client) but a TM is being created for each project separately...? Is this correct?
Thanks in advance for all answers, I hope my frustration will decrease at least a little bit, if I know where's all this crap coming from....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a project (TM, locking segments etc.) - how does it work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »