Normal way to move to next segment in Across editor
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
Finnish to French
Feb 21, 2016

What is the "normal" way to move to the next segment when translation in the Across 6.x editor? Is it Alt+Down? If so, is the status of the segment always set to "Touched" (as opposed to "Translated", for instance)?

The reason why I’m asking is the following: if a document contains internal fuzzy repetitions, you get no fuzzy match for the 2nd fuzzy repetition of the document, as the first occurrence didn’t get stored into the CrossTank TM (the status of the segment pair would n
... See more
What is the "normal" way to move to the next segment when translation in the Across 6.x editor? Is it Alt+Down? If so, is the status of the segment always set to "Touched" (as opposed to "Translated", for instance)?

The reason why I’m asking is the following: if a document contains internal fuzzy repetitions, you get no fuzzy match for the 2nd fuzzy repetition of the document, as the first occurrence didn’t get stored into the CrossTank TM (the status of the segment pair would need to be set to "translated").

Am I missing something obvious?
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:14
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Alt + +/Down Feb 21, 2016

You'd use Alt + +/Down to go to the next segment, translated or not. Alt + Right will get you to the next untouched segment.
In my experience it depended on the customer if segments were saved in Crosstank or not when moving to the next segment. If this perception is correct, this would mean it's a configuration thing.
I've never used Across for my 'own' translations, only for translations for two specific agencies, so I'm not sure about this configuration..

I meant to s
... See more
You'd use Alt + +/Down to go to the next segment, translated or not. Alt + Right will get you to the next untouched segment.
In my experience it depended on the customer if segments were saved in Crosstank or not when moving to the next segment. If this perception is correct, this would mean it's a configuration thing.
I've never used Across for my 'own' translations, only for translations for two specific agencies, so I'm not sure about this configuration..

I meant to say: Alt + + or Alt + Down

[Bijgewerkt op 2016-02-22 07:42 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Exact key combination? Feb 21, 2016

Renée van Bijsterveld wrote:
You'd use Alt + +/Down to go to the next segment, translated or not.

Thanks, Renée! When you say "Alt + +/Down", do you mean pressing Alt and the + key at the same time, followed by the Down arrow key? My laptop doesn’t have a separate numeric keypad and the + key (located on the right-hand side of the 0 key on my keyboard (upper row) doesn’t seem to do anything when used together with Alt. Is the key combination you refer to available via a toolbar icon? Is it documented somewhere in the manual?

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:14
Italian to German
+ ...
ALT + R Feb 21, 2016

Hi Dominique,

if you want to save the segment in crossTank first press ALT+R, then ALT+Down to move to the very next segment (or ALT+Right to move to the next untranslated segment).

I am unable to insert images so please go to http://www.across.net/online-help/v63/across/.
Choose "Translating and Correcting" -> "Translating Documents" and go to point 7: there
... See more
Hi Dominique,

if you want to save the segment in crossTank first press ALT+R, then ALT+Down to move to the very next segment (or ALT+Right to move to the next untranslated segment).

I am unable to insert images so please go to http://www.across.net/online-help/v63/across/.
Choose "Translating and Correcting" -> "Translating Documents" and go to point 7: there you will find the relevant icon (and in point 8 the icon corresponding to ALT+Right).

HTH,
Martina
Collapse

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:14
Spanish to German
+ ...
Ctrl+Alt+Enter = Set paragraph to a final editing state ("translated") and go to next paragraph Feb 21, 2016

Under ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/user_manual_reference_guide_v6_en.pdf you can download the complete manual.
On page 415 you will find all the "Shortcut Keys in crossDesk".

And on page 416 under "5.3.4.3 Changing Paragraph State" you'll see:

Ctrl+Alt+ Enter = Set paragraph to a final editing state (e.g. "translated") an
... See more
Under ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/user_manual_reference_guide_v6_en.pdf you can download the complete manual.
On page 415 you will find all the "Shortcut Keys in crossDesk".

And on page 416 under "5.3.4.3 Changing Paragraph State" you'll see:

Ctrl+Alt+ Enter = Set paragraph to a final editing state (e.g. "translated") and go to next paragraph

On page 47 you can learn how to customize the shortcuts if you prefer a different one for this purpose.

Kind regards
Liselotte Hennig
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+Enter Feb 21, 2016

Thanks, Liselotte (and Martina)!

Ctrl+Alt+Enter is the shortcut I was looking for. I’m surprised it’s buried deep in the 944-page manual and not made visible anywhere in the interface, whether on a toolbar or when right-clicking (context-sensitive menu). I couldn’t see it mentioned in the (age-old and speechless) Across video tutorial. Committing a segment pair to the TM and moving to the next segment is one of the most basic and important feature of any CAT tool, hence my ast
... See more
Thanks, Liselotte (and Martina)!

Ctrl+Alt+Enter is the shortcut I was looking for. I’m surprised it’s buried deep in the 944-page manual and not made visible anywhere in the interface, whether on a toolbar or when right-clicking (context-sensitive menu). I couldn’t see it mentioned in the (age-old and speechless) Across video tutorial. Committing a segment pair to the TM and moving to the next segment is one of the most basic and important feature of any CAT tool, hence my astonishment.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Normal way to move to next segment in Across editor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »