Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Across is no longer free
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:01
Dec 1, 2015

In order to export your translations that you have created in the Basic edition of Across, you have to pay for the Premium edition.

Lawrence Lam
Lawrence Lam  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
how big is your TM? Dec 1, 2015

2nl wrote:

In order to export your translations that you have created in the Basic edition of Across, you have to pay for the Premium edition.

If you just want to back up your TM, you can try 'Backup+Restore_PE' function under Croosgoodie, but the size is limited to 2GB.

If you want to export TM to other CATs, you may use 'date filter" under Crosstank Manager to export your TM by time sequence.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
Finnish to French
export by time sequence?! Dec 1, 2015

Frank Lin wrote:
If you want to export TM to other CATs, you may use 'date filter" under Crosstank Manager to export your TM by time sequence.

Pardon my ignorance, but what would be the output when "using date filter under Crosstank Manager to export your TM by time sequence"? Would it be a standard TMX? Can it be done with the "free" Across Personal Edition?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Across Personal Edition Dec 1, 2015

Across Personal Edition has been replaced by the Basic Edition, that doesn't allow you to create a target document.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
I see... Dec 1, 2015

2nl wrote:
Across Personal Edition has been replaced by the Basic Edition, that doesn't allow you to create a target document.

I had missed that annoucement! Ok, the differences between Basic Edition and Premium Edition are found here and the pricing information here.

One of the alleged benefits (of joining "crossMarket for translators") is this:

Me no understand, can someone explain

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think there has been an official announcement Dec 3, 2015

I don't think there has been an announcement of the fundamental different approach, other than a cryptic message (actually one X in a table) on their website.

In the (closed) BDÜ Across forum there's already a lot of commotion going on about the change.

Anyway, does someone have a download link to the last free version, the one for which you need a reg key?

[Edited at 2015-12-03 07:09 GMT]

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Don't upgrade to version 6.3 unless you're happy to pay Dec 18, 2015

When you upgrade to 6.3, your are no longer able to preview and export translations unless you pay for the premium edition.

Across have told me downgrading back to 6.0 was not possible and this version was no longer supported.

So if you look at the monthly subscription rates, it might make more sense to buy a different CAT tool. Or stay with 6.0.

[Modifié le 2015-12-18 10:13 GMT]

Giia Weigel
Giia Weigel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
Member (2008)
English to Estonian
+ ...
DO not upgrade to 6.3 unless... Dec 18, 2015

... you are absolutely certain that you have plenty of time to work out all the glitches they might have. I ran into trouble with activation, could not get back to old version, could not activate the new one and am now sitting back and wasting time because out of 10 times I have reached out for help, I have gotten one response (two times the same one), that is of no help.

Like someone else here says, perhaps it's time to look for another tool. Preferably one that comes with good eno
... See more
... you are absolutely certain that you have plenty of time to work out all the glitches they might have. I ran into trouble with activation, could not get back to old version, could not activate the new one and am now sitting back and wasting time because out of 10 times I have reached out for help, I have gotten one response (two times the same one), that is of no help.

Like someone else here says, perhaps it's time to look for another tool. Preferably one that comes with good enough customer service!!!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Switching back to 6.0 from 6.3? Dec 19, 2015

Jan Rausch wrote:
Across have told me downgrading back to 6.0 was not possible and this version was no longer supported

Well, that 6.0 is no longer supported is quite possible (it’s just a question of Across saying so). That 6.0 can no longer be downloaded from their site is also quite possible (again, it’s just a question of Across withdrawing it from their site).

But what if you have kept a copy of the 6.0 installer on your drive, and you decide to reinstall it? Will the mere fact of having installed 6.3 prevents you from reinstalling 6.0, even after uninstalling 6.3?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Virtual machines :) Dec 19, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

But what if you have kept a copy of the 6.0 installer on your drive, and you decide to reinstall it? Will the mere fact of having installed 6.3 prevents you from reinstalling 6.0, even after uninstalling 6.3?

For this we have virtual machines. Hope you use them too.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Not necessarily Dec 19, 2015

2nl wrote:
For this we have virtual machines. Hope you use them too.

Depends on how Across has implemented their activation software: they could have built into 6.3 a mechanism that prevents installation of older versions even after it is uninstalled. For instance, the Trados 2014 and older trial (not sure about 2015) could not be reinstalled on the same machine, even in a totally new virtual machine: its copy-protection component (a really nasty software called "Nalpeiron") left some low-level mark on your physical hard drive.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
You'll be right, no doubt Dec 19, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Depends on how Across has implemented their activation software

I just installed Across 6.0.65039 again. I could insert the reg key they've sent me for version 6. It looks like it's accepted.

Of course I don't want to double-cross their new business model! So I'll delete this VM right away.

Richard Delaney FCIL CL
Richard Delaney FCIL CL
Germany
German to English
Compatibility problems with Windows 10 Apr 13, 2016

"But what if you have kept a copy of the 6.0 installer on your drive, and you decide to reinstall it?..."

I had this situation; not because I had upgraded to 6.3, but because my computer crashed completely & had to be completely re-set. Unfortunately, it was re-set with Windows 10, and after re-installing Across 6.0 it kept telling me that "Cross tank is disabled" (Cross term as well, incidentally).

After a one-hour support phone call with Across today, the support cha
... See more
"But what if you have kept a copy of the 6.0 installer on your drive, and you decide to reinstall it?..."

I had this situation; not because I had upgraded to 6.3, but because my computer crashed completely & had to be completely re-set. Unfortunately, it was re-set with Windows 10, and after re-installing Across 6.0 it kept telling me that "Cross tank is disabled" (Cross term as well, incidentally).

After a one-hour support phone call with Across today, the support chap came to the conclusion that it might be due to the fact that Across 6.0 does not support Windows 10...

Bugger.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Across is no longer free? Apr 15, 2016

I just downloaded the installation programm (6.3), but I am reluctant to install it, for more than 1 reason:

A) This forum.
B) No prices on the Across website.
C) It is the worse CAT I came across till sofar, but some clients seem to love it (cheap).
D) Still have 6.0

- So, if it isn't free anymore, how much do you have to pay?
- Can you still do the occassional jobs on 6.0?
- What is so great about this new version?
- Is 6.3 still as
... See more
I just downloaded the installation programm (6.3), but I am reluctant to install it, for more than 1 reason:

A) This forum.
B) No prices on the Across website.
C) It is the worse CAT I came across till sofar, but some clients seem to love it (cheap).
D) Still have 6.0

- So, if it isn't free anymore, how much do you have to pay?
- Can you still do the occassional jobs on 6.0?
- What is so great about this new version?
- Is 6.3 still as slow as a snail, or does it finally works as a real CAT should?
- Did they change their policy, and is the tool also compatible with other formats?
- Last, but not least.... Is there any reason to acquire the new version, other than clients are asking for it?

I am curious about your responses.

[Edited at 2016-04-15 19:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-15 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 08:01
Prices and restrictions Apr 19, 2016

You don't have to pay anything if you are working on client projects one by one.

You only need to upgrade to premium if 1) you want to work on your own projects, 2) if you want to work on projects for multiple clients simultaneously.

Prices:
http://www.crossmarket.net/en/features-pricing/translators/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across is no longer free

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »